cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

128k again

N/A

128k again

Hi Plusnet,

Is there any news about when unmetered 128k ISDN access will be available? Any sort of date would be nice to know.

Stuart
can't get ADSL or cable
7 REPLIES
fonejacker
Grafter
Posts: 382
Registered: 30-07-2007

RE: 128k again

> Hi Plusnet,
>
> Is there any news about when un-metered 128k ISDN access will be available? Any sort of date would be nice to know.
>
> Stuart
> can't get ADSL or cable

Hi Stuart,

There is no ETA for this at the moment. Initially we are waiting on the migration of our entire Dial Platform from BT managed routers (In Sheffield) to our own 'Redback SMS 10000' environment at Telehouse in London. This is currently planned for the beginning of March. Once this is completed, we will technically be able to begin product development for 128K ISDN.

That said, we are currently assessing the possibilities of alternatives to 128K ISDN, such as the BT Midband product, which works in a similar way to Home Highway.

I'm sorry I can't be more definite about this, we do understand that there is demand for the product, but both technically and in terms of our range of products we have to ensure that we are going to be able to sustain 128K ISDN.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

RE: 128k again

Hopefully before `Spring` When BT plan on running there pilot for 128K `ALWAYS ON`
mickm
Grafter
Posts: 50
Registered: 06-10-2007

RE: 128k again

Midband sounds a better option than 128K so I'd be willing to wait a bit longer for it (but not much!!)

What do other people think?
--
Mick
N/A

RE: 128k again

> Midband sounds a better option than 128K so I'd be willing to wait a bit longer for it (but not much!!)
>
> What do other people think?
>
> --
> Mick

I'm with you on this. The original date for the completion of the infrastructure work was 11th Feb and now it's slipped to mid March which is kind of disappointing! Plus there is still the product development cycle to go through with no target date being offered for start of service.

With no chance of ADSL or Cable access then 128K ISDN is my next best option. I've been waiting to see what happens with PlusNet but unless some realistic dates are offered soon then unfortuntaely I'll probably be looking elsewhere. I have been happy with the PlusNet service so don't want to do that unless I have to.

Does anyone have more information on this Midband product or the BT 128K always on option?

Thanks,
--
Sheepdog
Grafter
Posts: 60
Registered: 30-07-2007

RE: 128k again


> I'm with you on this. The original date for the completion of the infrastructure work was 11th Feb and now it's slipped to mid March which is kind of disappointing! Plus there is still the product development cycle to go through with no target date being offered for start of service.
>
> With no chance of ADSL or Cable access then 128K ISDN is my next best option. I've been waiting to see what happens with PlusNet but unless some realistic dates are offered soon then unfortuntaely I'll probably be looking elsewhere. I have been happy with the PlusNet service so don't want to do that unless I have to.
>
> Does anyone have more information on this Midband product or the BT 128K always on option?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
I have had Home Highway installed in the last couple of weeks, but before I did I email BT Chief exec to see about conversion to Midband and was told that you can convert to Midband at NO PENATLY and having HH already meant no engineer needs to visit.

Simon

N/A

RE: 128k again

> >
> > --
> I have had Home Highway installed in the last couple of weeks, but before I did I email BT Chief exec to see about conversion to Midband and was told that you can convert to Midband at NO PENATLY and having HH already meant no engineer needs to visit.
>
> Simon
>
>

Thanks Simon, thats's good to know. From what I found out this morning the Midband or 128K ALways on is basically a permanent dual 64K channel + D channel ISDN setup. So not having to convert makes sense although I wonder how the pricing will be structured as I can't imagine BT wanting to loose money from their existing ISDN/HomeHighway installed base.

The other option which I have just started to read about is some kind of private local community broadband network based on wireless. Sounds like a good idea but would probanly take a fair amount of work up front but could deliver real broadband access rather than the more limited ISDN solution.

Funny thing was I was speaking to a BT engineer who was installing ISDN at my neighbours house and he said they they were considering scrapping the Fibre infrastructure that was laid when the development was built a few years ago and replacing it with copper. Sounds like a major leap backward to me and we are still probably too far away from the local exchange to have ADSL installed.

Thanks, George M-A
Sheepdog
Grafter
Posts: 60
Registered: 30-07-2007

RE: 128k again


> Thanks Simon, thats's good to know. From what I found out this morning the Midband or 128K ALways on is basically a permanent dual 64K channel + D channel ISDN setup. So not having to convert makes sense although I wonder how the pricing will be structured as I can't imagine BT wanting to loose money from their existing ISDN/HomeHighway installed base.
>
> The other option which I have just started to read about is some kind of private local community broadband network based on wireless. Sounds like a good idea but would probanly take a fair amount of work up front but could deliver real broadband access rather than the more limited ISDN solution.
>
> Funny thing was I was speaking to a BT engineer who was installing ISDN at my neighbours house and he said they they were considering scrapping the Fibre infrastructure that was laid when the development was built a few years ago and replacing it with copper. Sounds like a major leap backward to me and we are still probably too far away from the local exchange to have ADSL installed.
>
> Thanks, George M-A

I would of thought BT are planning to recoup any losses on HH accounts by the virtue of increased numbers of user on Midband will increase the overall income to them. But the fact Midband will still requie 2 phone lines how they work out the line rental and package details will be a feat of staggering maths to still make a profit!!!

Simon