cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

120Kbps - Should I expect more?

N/A

Hi,
I recently signed up to BBPlus, seemed a good idea at the time!
My first 2 speed tests were about 1800Kbps (+net speed checker). Since then the speeds have never gone over 1200 and during the afternoon and evening are as low as 120Kbps (figures tally with Netstat).

I was about to raise a ticket regarding the speed issue, but decided to check the speed at 6 a.m. today. The BT speedtest returned 1246, 934 and 1553.
The +Net speedcheck was up to 1200, I thought things were on the up, but now we are down to 100 - 200Kbps.

Is this what I can expect for being a cheapskate? or should my speeds be better, I realise the contention factor but with a 2MB connection I would have hoped for more.

Sorry for the long mail. If I wish to upgrade, can I do this without additional expense (apart from the extra monthly fee obviously).
Cheers.

Chris.
9 REPLIES
N/A

When i was on plus i had pretty impressive speedtest results throughout the day (although sometimes it would go down to 500kbps ..but then shoot back up the next time i did it)

I just ran the test now on Premier and got 1651...i'm getting around 300kps lower than what I should, but Plusnet is overloadeded with customers so the most I can do is just 'accept' it. PN support don't suggest anything other than doing speedtests...so dont waste your time phoning...

Yes seeing that you're on 2mbit, the upgrading will be free. Worth the £7 extra a month? Yes, i think so...the browsing speeds are fine on Plus but the p2p is just dismal...
Metalguru
Grafter

I'm on BB+ and I've just checked mine with the +Net speed checker tool.

Result = 1840.8 kbps
N/A

The BT speed tests results you have given, suggesta exchange level capacity issue, rather than somthing on PlusNets side.
N/A

So should I raise a ticket for +Net to investigate?
The speedtest (BT) page mentions something about >400 being acceptable speeds for a 2Mb line. I don't want to add to an already overstretched CS system but I am not particularly happy with these speeds.

Chris.
N/A

The speedtest (BT) page mentions something about >400 being acceptable speeds for a 2Mb line.

Chris.

Thats correct, unless it below 400 between 12am and 7am PN won't contact BTw as they consider that acceptable for a 2mbit connection.

I've just done this BT Test, I'm on 2mbit Premier, dismal speeds as usual due to contention I believe, its practically like this all day every day. Exchange was due to be fixed on the 15th Aug, that date came and went with nothing being done, next fix date is 6th Sept, I don't expect anything to be done then either.

BT Speedtest
52 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second

ADSL Guide
Downstream 153 Kbps (19.1 KB/sec) 165 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 163 Kbps (20.4 KB/sec) 176 Kbps (inc. overheads)
N/A

It appears that there are a huge number of people with naff speeds, probably mostly due to BT probs. I guess that there is little point trying to get it resolved via Plusnet. My exchange is just down the road, perhaps I will pay them a visit and see just what is what.

(as an aside, I have a pole in my garden, when the engineer came to investigate a "lost line" he communicated to his mate further up the village by shouting at the top of his voice! What chance do we have if this is comms in the 21st century?)

Chris.
N/A

nattore,

Whats the VP status of your exchange ?

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
N/A

The VP status is green although there is no information for the capacity as it has not been upgraded long enough for the info to be available.
N/A

The data is a little behind right now, due to the inability to access the normal datasource.