cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10%?

N/A

10%?

Plusnet keep insisting that despite use of the ellacoyas to artificially contend your bandwidth usage, their impact on your download speed will be at most 10%.

Many people have posted in other topics that their service has been severely affected, but is this a minority problem, or a major one?
11 REPLIES
N/A

10%?

My download rate from usenet is roughly between 10 and 25% of what it should be. I pay for a premier 2meg account and can now expect between 20 and 40kbs when I pay for 200. Is this a result of the SUP? I hadn't even heard of this until yesterday.
N/A

10%?

i don't think the sup has anything to do with speed,
it concerns the amount of data downloaded, not how fast
N/A

10%?

Thanks grake : ) Does that mean that If I were to go over a certain limit I would just be disconnected, regardless of which account type I have? Sorry if this is a daft question, I just can't get my head 'round what is going on at the moment.
N/A

10%?

have a good read of this http://portal.plus.net/support/features/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml

it's pn's guide to the sup,
they will not disconnect you for going over the limits, just throttle you back to 6kb/s

but they should warn you of this first
Community Veteran

10%?

Hmmm! Whilst other people have recently been experiancing poor, and in some cases very poor speed on usenet, I have had little issue at all.
However b4 voting here I tested usenet again (I don't often use it tbh) and idd I am d/l at circa 40to50KB/s with 6 connections. (Which for my needs is ok I guess, considering its peak time atm) But only recently I was geting 90to235KB/s, depending on number of connections.
So certainly more than a 10% decrease atm, so I guess it could point to the shaping, allthough it may be something else!
Certainly there seems to be a little contention effect at the time I am testing now, because a speed check is also showing about 20% down on what I normally get. So I dunno.

**EDIT** 5to15KB/s atm on the last set of headers!
N/A

10%?

i don't think the sup has anything to do with speed,
it concerns the amount of data downloaded, not how fast

The ellacoyas are used to apply network traffic management. All users will be managed (to a greater or lesser extent). If you exceed the limits of the SUP you will be more heavily managed.

I assumed the introduction of the ellacoyas was part of the SUP. Perhaps I'm wrong. In which case replace 'SUP' with 'ellacoyas'.
Community Veteran

10%?

The ellacoya's have been around since bb+ started ish and look something like this*:

with the WASSUP (What Another Small Sustainable Usage Policy) (usage) detector looking like this:

*Actually the ellacoya's are shown on the ellacoya website (they are the e30 model) and the WASSUP I just made up as I thought It would go well with the fake ellacoya to lighten the mood and give people a laugh ;-) , I belive in reality the info is retrieved from the RADIUS servers.
crimsone
Grafter

10%?

seriously though, searching on a topic related to ellacoya (involving the term "workaround" *cough*) One thing I have noticed is that as soon as ellacoya has been introduced by an ISP p2p, and in particular bittorrent, seem to be affected far more than they say it should be (the very reason I was doing that particular search.). Sounds to me like it's a problem inherant in the ellacoya kit itself if that's the case.
N/A

10%?

Have to admit at first i had some major slowdowns now everything seems slightly slower but nothing really noticeable.

Very happy with my +net service again! Web browsing and email all seems alot quicker than it used to be so i can't complain
N/A

10%?

Hey Crimsone could you be a champion and post some links for the inherintly lazy bad spellers like me who haven't had the, um, time to check that out?

Very interested in the fact the ellacoya's could be slowing it down more than anticipated, I wonder if there are other underlying factors associated with this.
crimsone
Grafter

10%?

Sure -

http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=50&hl=en&newwindow=1&q=ellacoya+bittorent&meta=

ellacoya bittorrent

- take your pick of the results of these searches.

Of course, it's all circumsantial, but then, it usually is. Those who want Ellacoya are hardly going to take kindly to criticising it, but then those that suffer because of it are going to complain like crazy.