cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0kbps on external newsgroups!

N/A

Just trying to get into newsgroups and I'm getting 0kbps!! Cry

I subscribed to astraweb, and even though it connects and says "retrieving newsgroups", it's goes at the speed of 0kbps to 0.5kbps. So i thought it was maybe astraweb and joined a 5GB account in usenet.news but that was having the same result.

Then i tried news.plus.net and that was the only one that gave me ~165kbps on a 2meg line.

Any reason why this could be happening? Have plusnet restricted newsgroups to just their own?
13 REPLIES
N/A

whatHuh news.plus.net still worksHuh wasn't it shut down?
hitachi
Grafter

Getting 800 KB/s from astraweb at the moment.
N/A

Are you using port 119? Was there any settings you had to change, like firewall and wireless router modem configs?

Strange why news.plusnet.net works and the others don't. I only joined astraweb and usenet.news late last night, but it should be instant access?

:?
hitachi
Grafter

Yes using port 119.
I have connections open on all of the astraweb servers so if a server is down I will still get downloads.
crimsone
Grafter

Nope, but binary groups are no longer available if I recall - text only.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Re: 0kbps on external newsgroups!

Any reason why this could be happening? Have plusnet restricted newsgroups to just their own?

Hi,

What type of account do you have? If it's Broadband Plus then that will likely explain it. Broadband Plus isn't designed for binary usenet downloads (or P2P) and that type of traffic gets the lowest priority on the network. Off peak speeds should be higher as there's more bandwidth available overnight for P2P and binary usenet on Broadband Plus. However if you are regularly going to be using usenet then either Premier or PAYG would be more suitable.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Yep, it's still there, just text only now now.
10crawford
Grafter

Dave Tomlinson stated that Broadband Plus is not designed for Binary Usenet Downloads.

Its a shame that that isn't stated on the Product Specification or Product Usage pages.

A potential customer could want to use Binary Usenet Dowloads for a few small downloads a month and could get the impression that Broadband Plus is the ideal product for them.

Actually when reading the Product Specification Page you could assume that Broadband Plus is also suitable for P2P light usage!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

The product page says

Perfect for surfing, email, chatting and shopping - not file-sharing and large downloads

and from the T's & C's

6.3.2 Broadband Plus is not designed to sustain prolonged high-bandwidth, heavy-usage applications such as continuous Peer-to-Peer (P2P) file sharing, streaming video, binary downloads or other intensive uses.

We don't block binary usenet or P2P on Broadband Plus, but the traffic is in the bronze queue so at the lowest priority on the network. As I say, at peak time, speeds are going to be very low on binary usenet and P2P traffic but will be faster off peak. So you can do light P2P/usenet downloads off peak but if you want to use them at peak or want to download larger amounts or at a faster speed then Broadband Plus isn't suitable.
10crawford
Grafter

Dave you miss the point Usenet Binary Downloads are not necessarily Large.

How many new customers get to 6.3.2 of the T & C's?

Also I think you will find that the links from the Product Usage page to the page "How PlusNet guarantees quality broadband" indicates both p2p and usenet are in the silver queue for Plus customers.
N/A

Yes, I am on broadband plus. I can understand that speeds might be lower at peak times, but will it be restricted so that it never goes above 0.5kbps? If so then the literature might as well say that usenet is unusable during peak times.

However, I don't think it is all down to the speed capping because I have tried using it today from 10am (off peak time) onwards, on and off, and always had the same unusable speeds.

Any ideas?
Firejack
Grafter

However, I don't think it is all down to the speed capping because I have tried using it today from 10am (off peak time) onwards, on and off, and always had the same unusable speeds.

Any ideas?
Yes. Plus.net don't have enough capacity.
neilarmstrong posted some numbers the other day. The interesting point was
- The total graph shows that from 10am to 3am the pipes are pretty much full. So while peak time as far as product allowances are concerned is 4pm to midnight the network is actually busy for a longer period. The most customers are using the service between 5pm and 11pm as you would expect
So you may need to try the speedtest between 3am and 10am to see if you get better performance.
N/A

See this thread for a discussion of peak time as opposed to peak time:

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51988

Plusnet: redefining English.