cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0870 fax numbers & Ofcom changes

Luciano
Dabbler

This is an email that I have received from one of my Voip providers Voipfone. With this in mind can somebody from Plusnet please comment on what will happen to the fax service which uses 0870 numbers?

You may be aware that on 8th January 2008 Ofcom will change the cost of calling an 0870 number to make it the same cost as calling an ordinary national number. (Roughly halving the peak rate cost).

At the same time they will remove the revenue share element of the charge. (Operators receive a share of the income generated by calls to 0870 numbers which pays for the service they provide, perhaps a support line or in our case free telephone numbers and fax services.)

We have now also been notified that there will be an inbound charge for calls to these numbers ie operators like Voipfone will have to pay the network originating the call – usually BT – to receive the call.

The combined effect of all this is that after January 2008 it will no longer be possible for anyone to offer free 0870'numbers.

Thanks

Lou
9 REPLIES
N/A

More information on Ofcom proposals, here and on the introduction of 03 numbers
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 159

Hi there,

This certainly is a good question, unfortunatley I don't know the answer off the top of my head. I'll ask internally and see what we come up with.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
threeminds

Chris,

Have you been able to find out what is going to happen to the fax2email service in 2008. I use it myself and will have to plan ahead if it is discontinued due to the loss of revenue.

Thanks,

Dan.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 159

Not yet unfortunately, there have been a few discussions about this internally but nothing concrete has come out of them yet. I'll keep prodding and let you know what I find.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
Nick_Russell
Grafter

I have an 0870 fax number that I use very infrequently but nevertheless I consider it very useful and would wish to keep it as it is on my letterheads. I would be reluctant to pay a monthly fee for this but am quite happy to pay something rather that loose it.

Couldn't the 0870 scheme be altered so the user of the number pays PlusNet the share of the 8p or so instead of the line provider? This way Plusnet would receive the same amount of money as they do now, it would just be paid by the user of the number and not the line provider.
mbyrt
Grafter

Yes I too would be prepared to pay an increased monthly subscription to have a Fax2Email number. I used mine sporadically and this found it useful, but it was discontinued without warning in my case.
Fixes: 133

I get maybe 1 or 2 faxes each quarter but it is so convenient rather than having to ensure the PC is on, line free, etc to receive them.

Yes, I'd pay a little extra for each fax received.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Is it worth highlight that this service is not available on "Broadband your way" products. I believe that existing customers that change to BBYW are allowed to keep their existing fax number, but new sign-up do not get the service.

Chilly
mbyrt
Grafter

I had 0870 fax number before moving, within PlusNet, to Broadband My Way, but was just outside the normal use, so it was ,alas, withdrawn, but without notice.

It does look as if others would be prepared to pay a little extra for this service as well as me.