cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0808 problems

Robtheplod
Grafter

0808 problems

In the last couple of days, I keep getting 'this service cannot be connected' whenever I dial 08089933000. It's now taking around 45 mins to get a connection each night - where is the fault here - is it BT or Plusnet ? - spookily enough if I use the 0845 and pay for the call it always works!

Looks to me like someone does not have the equipment to deal with the number of people using it!

Anyone else getting these problems ?

rob
13 REPLIES
N/A

RE: 0808 problems

There may be an increase in the number of people using up their allowed hours because of the free time now available after 1.00 am.
Robtheplod
Grafter

Keith

Can't see how this can affect me trying to connect at say 7pm though. Seems to be more of a 'network overload' issue.

We are also getting this more and more in the daytime now (different account, different exchange), so it looks like BT/Plusnet are close to saturation!

rob
mickm
Grafter

Glad to know it's not just me.

I have an open ticket on this and I'm still waiting for a response. This isn't a complaint about that, I know how hard it is to track down the cause of such problems.

What I would like is for other people with the same problem to join this thread so we know how widespread it is and for Support to tell us honestly whether it's a comms problem (Plusnet or BT) or whether Plusnet is oversubscribed. If it is contention then we need to know so that some of us can go elsewhere!
--
Mick
N/A

Surely it must be a BT geographical thing. I'm not having the problems that a lot of other customers have, although there is a slight deterioration in the service.
Robtheplod
Grafter

Mike

Nice to hear of another in same boat!

I promised myself I would never turn into one of those wingers who populate forums with gloom and doom, but I do feel the services has started to get congested in the last month or so.

The odd connection problem was always there, as it is with all ISP's, but this is now getting more frequent. At work we always could connect, but now this is also becoming congested. I can always connect on 0845 which suggests a Friaco problem, but I don't want to have to pay twice in effect to use the service. Surely it is either a servicing that is provided and works or it's not provided, not 'pay for it and if it works you're lucky!'

It's like me paying a TV license and the BBC telling me that I can't watch BBC1 tonight as too many people are already watching it (or wait till someone switches off!)

Plusnet - are you oversubscribed on users or undersubscribed in your 0808 connections ?

I feel much better now - thanks for that!

rob
N/A

Hi there,

We do advertise the 0808 service as a contended service. As such you would need to redial from time to time, however you should be able to connect to the service shortly after your first few attempts.

Please let me know if I can help you any further.

Regards,

Dave

--
| David Scarpa...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
Robtheplod
Grafter

Dave

Please help further. I need to dial around 20 times to get on. As others are not having this problem it does indeed appear to be geographical. My exchange is Wymondhan in Norfolk - please can you investigate this matter as it's becoming a real problem.

My work exchange is Norwich, a City, so is Norfolk in itself the problem ??

I know it's a contended service, but I seem to getting near the bottom of list of users who are allowed to connect.

many thanks

rob
N/A

Yeah im having big connection problems with FRIACO its fine for about 3 mins then craps out. Wierdly though it is fine on AOLs FRIACO 0808 number and any 0845 number.

I have raised tickets which have been passed back to me as my fault which I know it isnt. I am in the process of downgrading my account and if nothing is done in 2 weeks im gonna give the ISP of the year a go, Claranet. Cant be any worse than the non-service im now getting from Plus. Its such a damn shame as Plus were awesome up until about 6 weeks ago.

N/A

> Dave
>
> Please help further. I need to dial around 20 times to get on. As others are not having this problem it does indeed appear to be geographical. My exchange is Wymondhan in Norfolk - please can you investigate this matter as it's becoming a real problem.
>

My 2 pennies worth...

I quite agree that things were fine about 5 or 6 weeks ago now. Lately in the early evening you can forget trying to dial in on the 0808 number. Yes I know it's a contended service, but surely there must be lots more customers new to PlusNet, which is overloading the capacity ?

For the record, I'm near Ipswich, Suffolk. I think it's a nationwide problem, not just local.

Regards,

Dave W
N/A

I am using ISDN and even with a digital dial up there has been the odd moment or two when connections have not been made. However I will stress this is very rare. I can only asume that most people suffering with frequent dial up problems are standard 56k modem dial ups. But then again I could be wrong.

my threpenth worth and from South Wales Smiley
thepark
Grafter

>
> I am using ISDN and even with a digital dial up there has been the odd moment or two when connections have not been made. However I will stress this is very rare. I can only asume that most people suffering with frequent dial up problems are standard 56k modem dial ups. But then again I could be wrong.
>
> my threpenth worth and from South Wales Smiley

I am in Cheshire and also using HH ISDN. I have had no problems apart from the occasional need to dial twice. must be either a local problem or a 56k modem problem.
thepark
Grafter

>
> I am using ISDN and even with a digital dial up there has been the odd moment or two when connections have not been made. However I will stress this is very rare. I can only asume that most people suffering with frequent dial up problems are standard 56k modem dial ups. But then again I could be wrong.
>
> my threpenth worth and from South Wales Smiley

I am in Cheshire and also using HH ISDN. I have had no problems apart from the occasional need to dial twice. must be either a local problem or a 56k modem problem.
N/A

> We do advertise the 0808 service as a contended service. As such you would need to redial from time to time, however you should be able to connect to the service shortly after your first few attempts.

I think most of us are well aware that it's a contended service. But it appears some ISP's are more contended than others.

This is my first visit to these forums - I just wanted to add my 2p as I've noticed a marked decline in service availability over the last two months or so.

> Please let me know if I can help you any further.

Supply more dial-up capacity?