cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0808 might be a contended service but....

N/A

0808 might be a contended service but....

0808 might be a contended service but those of us paying a monthly subscription expect, quite rightly, to receive a 'reasonable' service.

I don't expect to have to redial, sometimes in excess of 10 times, just to get onto a service I pay for at 8-9.30 p.m.

I do expect some contention for modems at busy times BUT if Plusnet carry on down this road then they'll end up like Demon did where thousands of customers left (myself included) because the service, contended or not, just wasn't worth the money.

Plusnet, in my opinion, has always been pretty good in past. For the last 5-6 weeks it's been getting worse and worse.

Please provide more 0808 connectivity before your customer base starts to drop away with all the remifications that brings for current and future revenue (on ADSL) streams. More than that, at present Plusnet is starting to get a bad name (that's without getting into the ADSL issues you're having currently!)....

Kevin
11 REPLIES
N/A

RE: 0808 might be a contended service but....

> 0808 might be a contended service but those of us paying a monthly subscription expect, quite rightly, to receive a 'reasonable' service.
>
> I don't expect to have to redial, sometimes in excess of 10 times, just to get onto a service I pay for at 8-9.30 p.m.
>
> I do expect some contention for modems at busy times BUT if Plusnet carry on down this road then they'll end up like Demon did where thousands of customers left (myself included) because the service, contended or not, just wasn't worth the money.
>
> Plusnet, in my opinion, has always been pretty good in past. For the last 5-6 weeks it's been getting worse and worse.
>
> Please provide more 0808 connectivity before your customer base starts to drop away with all the remifications that brings for current and future revenue (on ADSL) streams. More than that, at present Plusnet is starting to get a bad name (that's without getting into the ADSL issues you're having currently!)....
>
> Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your feedback. As you say the service is designed to be contended, even so we have capacity over and above that required for the advertised contention ratios. We are monitoring the usage of the service closely with respect to the reported engaged tones, it is also a possibility that excessive engaged tones/recorded announcements may be caused by localised exchange problems or capacity problems at an exchange.

Kind Regards,
Rob
--
| Robert Kelly.......................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support..................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
N/A

Plusnet

If we keep getting this problem, can you investigate and find our where the problem lies ?
We keep getting 'cannot connect to service' announcements.

can you help ?

N/A

> > 0808 might be a contended service but those of us paying a monthly subscription expect, quite rightly, to receive a 'reasonable' service.
> >
> > I don't expect to have to redial, sometimes in excess of 10 times, just to get onto a service I pay for at 8-9.30 p.m.
> >
> > I do expect some contention for modems at busy times BUT if Plusnet carry on down this road then they'll end up like Demon did where thousands of customers left (myself included) because the service, contended or not, just wasn't worth the money.
> >
> > Plusnet, in my opinion, has always been pretty good in past. For the last 5-6 weeks it's been getting worse and worse.
> >
> > Please provide more 0808 connectivity before your customer base starts to drop away with all the remifications that brings for current and future revenue (on ADSL) streams. More than that, at present Plusnet is starting to get a bad name (that's without getting into the ADSL issues you're having currently!)....
> >
> > Kevin
>
> Hi Kevin,
>
> Thanks for your feedback. As you say the service is designed to be contended, even so we have capacity over and above that required for the advertised contention ratios. We are monitoring the usage of the service closely with respect to the reported engaged tones, it is also a possibility that excessive engaged tones/recorded announcements may be caused by localised exchange problems or capacity problems at an exchange.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Rob
> --
> | Robert Kelly.......................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support..................for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +

Rob,

Thanks for the speedy reply and I hear what you say. However I know for a fact that it is not an issue with the BT exchange or service.

This issue is, as you say, due to contention for modems. If Plusnet defends the decline in service by saying it has more modems than is actually required for the contract then so be it but service *is* getting worse and people *will* leave.

Plusnet can either build more capacity, limit it's 0808 user base or bury it's head in the sand and let things get worse.

Let's hope they elect the first option, I actually want to stay loyal.

Kevin
N/A

After reading the numerous posts on this issue over the last few weeks I have a question. Why the hell does BT have the unable to connect voice sometimes when it's pretty damn obvious that an engaged signal indicates the same thing!!! This is why people are NOT HAPPY......they can't just set their modem to redial on an engaged signal until they connect. Due to the stupid voice one must physically hit connect every time by the sounds of it.
So Plusnet....turn the unnessary voice garbage off or get BT to and people will be a lot happier. Personally I think 10 times to try to connect is fine...wait till it takes 40-50 like I've experienced in the past on onther isp's! ARG!!

Good luck to the 0800 family!
Homerlovesbeer
mickm
Grafter

Please can we have an honest reply from Plusnet.

I've just received a reply to a ticket on this which I raised nine days ago. Guess what, it was the standard "This is a contended service .. " blurb which made no reference to the information I had provided at the request of tech support. (reply "signed" by Robert Skelton).

Yes, we know about contention, that's why we subscribe to a relatively cheap service. The point that many of us are trying to make is that the problems that some of us are having are much worse than we expect, even allowing for the contention.

What I would like to know is:

do you accept that some of your customers are experiencing problems which are above and beyond normal contention?

do you know whether it's down to Plusnet or BT?

can you help us to do something about it?

>
> Hi Kevin,
>
> Thanks for your feedback. As you say the service is designed to be contended, even so we have capacity over and above that required for the advertised contention ratios. We are monitoring the usage of the service closely with respect to the reported engaged tones, it is also a possibility that excessive engaged tones/recorded announcements may be caused by localised exchange problems or capacity problems at an exchange.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Rob
> --
> | Robert Kelly.......................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support..................for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +

--
Mick
mickm
Grafter

PS I'm worked up about this because of the appalling response I got from Robert Skelton.

I did mean to add that it's actually been much better here (rural Northants) yesterday and today.

What's other peoples experience?
--
Mick
N/A

> PS I'm worked up about this because of the appalling response I got from Robert Skelton.
>
> I did mean to add that it's actually been much better here (rural Northants) yesterday and today.
>
> What's other peoples experience?
>
> --
> Mick

Well I pay the £29.99 a month and can connect ok (although am in the process of downgrading my account due to lack of connectivity).
However after I connect i get 2-3 minutes of okish connectivity then it just craps out and i get no data transfer at all something that doesnt happen with AOLs FRIACO service.
I just really would like to see if its me, then I can try and sort the problem out, although i have no idea where to start. Plusnet still continue to deny it is them.

PS These damn message boards need updating to something different ht etopics that are relevant and need reading are off the first page too quickly.
N/A

I've given up and am looking around. I complained about connectivity some weeks ago and got asked (as I do every time) whether I can connect to the 0845 nr - I can connect to lots of places. I have to say, I'm getting fed up paying BT and Plusnet to track down their problems - we never see any credits to accounts for this diagnostic work or, for that matter, the working time lost when unable to connect.

So Plusnet - NO - its not anything to do with my equipment - its you or BT and you need to fix it.
--
N/A

Hi Neil et al,

Its not just you. The contention is an issue, as is the lack of internet activity once connected. These issues have been discussed in these forums since September.

I have raised several tickets with Support and received varying replies.

The most recent was yesterday.

Plusnet I feel are aware that a problem exists but i believe that they are not really sure what it is.

At their request, I have enabled PPP logging on my system and after a week or so I will forward the logs to them for analysis.

I know other customers are doing somthing similar.

Hopefully then we will have some answers and maybe a resolution.

Until then I for one will give Plus net the benefit of the doubt.

Mark Kelly
Stef
Grafter

It's obvious that some people ARE having probs but just to add some balance my 0808 (I now have two accounts) is fantastic. Connects first time almost every time and never disconnects etc...

I can only think this is a local thing?
N/A

> It's obvious that some people ARE having probs but just to add some balance my 0808 (I now have two accounts) is fantastic. Connects first time almost every time and never disconnects etc...
>
> I can only think this is a local thing?

I will say that yesterday evening I did connect first time during three times I logged off/on. This is what I call service and I hope it continues.

I have always had reasonable throughput once connected, my initial problem, and the reason for this thread, was that contention for the modem pool on the 0808 service was too bad.

Kevin