Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0/10 for PlusNet

gosforth
Grafter

0/10 for PlusNet

I had my credit card stolen last week and had a stop put on it. The card has
since been reissued with a new number. Unfortunately, the timing was such that PlusNet were unable to get payment from the stopped card.

I was unaware of the problem and found myself unable to login. I have just connected from work and find that PlusNet sent me an e-mail on Saturday 20th (which I had not read yet) which included the following text :

"Should you fail to
contact us regarding this matter your account will be permanently removed
and the matter placed in the hands of our legal team".

This was the first e-mail I had received from PlusNet. High handed in the extreme. It also gave me very little opportunity to deal with the situation.

I have been very pleased with the service from PlusNet, it is a pity that the credit control people at PlusNet do not treat their customers with more consideration.

0/10 this time.

Yours very annoyed,
Dr Christian Hicks
26 REPLIES
jberry
Grafter

0/10 for PlusNet

Hi there,

Sorry to hear that you feel that way but from experience I would say that because we currently only contact people once their payments have failed we only send one notification of failure by e-mail - and as such cannot send a 'reminder' which is less harshly worded.

That being said, we are in the process of completely re-writing our Financial and Billing systems to improve the service across the board, which should reduce the need for correspondance like this in the future.

Regards,
gosforth
Grafter

0/10 for PlusNet

This is not good enough. I take the point that you have an automated system, but the first e-mail should be a polite reminder as I am sure many customers such as myself have every intention of paying for the service. It is only because I can access e-mail from work, that I found out what the problem was, because you had sent me an e-mail which I could not access because you had suspended the account. I would suggest that your first e-mail should be polite. You could then follow it up with your legalistic e-mail and account suspension later on.

Your score is still 0/10 for this.

Dr Christian Hicks
jberry
Grafter

0/10 for PlusNet

Hi there,

I agree that the system is not ideal and as I stated, we are re-designing this. The problem is that the current system can only send one e-mail so cannot do "polite reminder" and then "demand for money" - it is one or the other and a lot of people will not get back to us immediately on the strength of a polite reminder.

I also know that I am not going to win you over on this one but if you are patient and wait for the new system then this problem will be resolved.

Regards,
gosforth
Grafter

0/10 for PlusNet

I think I have now made my point and you seem to have accepted it. I think you are right to review your processes. I hope that I am never in the position to find out about your revised procedures. The only reason that I found out about your current procedures was because some light fingered **** stole my credit card, and the timing happened to coincide with my payment to PlusNet.
Community Veteran

0/10 for PlusNet

Sorry for poking my nose in here, and maybe going a little off topic, but there's something that concerns me.

I quote...
Should you fail to
and the matter placed in the hands of our legal team.
I don't understand this... we pay for our connections in advance don't we? So there's nothing illigal about not paying one month, as you're not not paying for something you've used - therefore, you're not stealing.

Thomas
gosforth
Grafter

0/10 for PlusNet

We do pay in advance, but when a payment fails you immediately move into a debit situation. Furthermore, some customer like me have a contract with a minimum period of 1 year, so if I did default PlusNet would be entitled to get paid for the remaining months. I have no problem with paying for the service I receive. I also have no problem with PlusNet taking action against its debtors.

As I said in my first e-mail, I have generally been very happy with the service offered by PlusNet and I think it is good value. The problem I had is that the lack of payment to PlusNet was not my fault and I did not know about it. I expected my payments to be made automatically as had been the case in the past. PlusNet did send me an e-mail, but I did not get chance to read it because the account was suspended. I think the proposed review of procedures is a good idea. The reconnection process was very efficient.

I would also comment that I think that the existance of this forum shows that PlusNet is a confident company that is prepared to listen to its customers. You might gather that I am feeling more positive now that I am reconnected!

Chris
N/A

Same thing here

This happened to me on Thursday night due to a mix up, I can only presume at my bank. My account was suspended and my website taken off line, fair enough. However I only found out during the Friday morning when I eventually phone support. One click of a button and I was sorted out, some five minutes later I was up and running, fair enough.

Until I download my email and read this
Should you fail to

Now I am to puzzled about this because we pay in advance, I have been with PlusNet for some time so I have more than fulfilled my minimum contract. It is not good practice to threaten people, especially good customers and even more so when you have no right to. So I for one are more than pleased to see that this will change, because mistakes do happen even at PlusNets end.

Cheers
wandelaar
Grafter

0/10 for PlusNet

Hmmm.

I would have thought that the obvious way to deal with this situation would have been for plusnet not to remove the account, but to have removed access to it apart from the 0845 access, This way the customer could still access emails and resolve the situation? If the problem could not be resolved after say 1 month then fine, go ahead and remove the account.

Makes sense to me.

regards

Dave
N/A

0/10 for PlusNet

Bear in mind +net have been "reviewing" this problem for some time now.
How long does it take to review a known fault and get it sorted.
N/A

0/10 for PlusNet

The review has been part of the re-design of the whole accounting platform.

The platform currently works and this isn't related to a bug, but more a unsatisfactory mailout.
Ianwild
Grafter

0/10 for PlusNet

Hmmm.

I would have thought that the obvious way to deal with this situation would have been for plusnet not to remove the account, but to have removed access to it apart from the 0845 access, This way the customer could still access emails and resolve the situation? If the problem could not be resolved after say 1 month then fine, go ahead and remove the account.

Makes sense to me.

Hi Dave,

That is exactly the way the system works at the moment....

I will take the feedback from this thread back to the management team and see if we can get something done to re-write this email somewhat, as I agree, the terminology used is far from friendly.

Regards,

Ian
Ianwild
Grafter

0/10 for PlusNet

Just to add, if someone could post or send me the FULL text of this email, it would be very helpful. As ever with these things, what happens is I say "This needs fixing" and by boss says "Ok Ian, you can fix it"...

Expect a better worded email when I get a minute to write one!!!

Regards,

Ian
gosforth
Grafter

0/10 for PlusNet

The full text of the e-mail from PlusNet follows. Please note that the subject line does not indicate the nature of the e-mail, it looks like one of the automated e-mails that confirm payment. I would suggest that the subject should be changed to something like "Urgent: PlusNet have been unable to receive payment from your account".

Secondly, I do not have 0845 access (or do I?), but perhaps all ADSL users should have this as a backup to make sure that they get a chance to read your stroppy e-mails if payment problems occur. I also think that the connection settings are different for ADSL and 0845. I would be grateful if you would confirm these points and I will consider setting up 0845 access as a backup.

Thanks,
Chris

Subject: Your ADSL Home Self-Install (Annual Contract) - USB Starter Pack Account
Dear Christian Hicks,

Username: gosforth

We are writing to notify you that we have been unable to take payment regarding
your ADSL Home Self-Install (Annual Contract) - USB Starter Pack account. It is possible that the payment details we
currently have for you are incorrect or out of date. You may update
payment information at Portal Web site (http://www.plus.net).

If you wish to amend your payment details, for example should you wish to
use a different credit card, then you may simply enter the new details here.

We have no alternative but to deactivate your account pending payment of the
monies outstanding for your Internet access account. Should you fail to

If you can see no good reason why payment should not have been taken on your
preferred card, we advise that you contact your bank as soon as possible.
In the meantime, we will keep trying to complete the transaction using the
details we currently have. So that we may continue to provide your Internet
services, you should be advised we do require accepted means of payment.

Please don't hesitate to contact us immediately if you have any queries
about this or any other matter with regards your ADSL Home Self-Install (Annual Contract) - USB Starter Pack account.
You can phone our friendly Support Team who are available 24 hours a day,
7 days a week on 0845 1400200.

Did you know you can now pay for your account by Direct Debit? Direct Debit
payment is easy to set up and convenient, as there's no need to confirm
regular payments or update your details. Set up your Direct Debit today - visit
www.plus.net/general/directdebit.html
N/A

0/10 for PlusNet

All ADSL users do have 0845 backup as standard, your pop3 login name weill be the fist part of your ADSL login (leave out the @plusdsl.net) your password is the same one you use on ADSL.

Just set up a DUN connection using these paramiters and you should be ok.