cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to update a thread

graemev
Grafter

unable to update a thread

I've been updating this thread for some time.

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/TD-W9980-setup/m-p/1600041#M9206

I've finally bought the suggested router and my problem continues [so I can't mark any as "this fixed my problem" ]   . I'd like to update this thread with the latest info. I've taken 2 years to get to this stage I really don't want to start from the beginning again.

Can somebody please unlock it. I tried marking it new but it remained locked.

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: unable to update a thread

@graemev Your easiest way would be to start anew topic, referencing the old thread, should anyone need to refer back.

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I've unlocked it - but it hadn't been posted to in 15 months and had only been posted to over a period of 6 months in the first place.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
graemev
Grafter

I just tried again. There was no "reply" button, so I could not add text (like this one)

The tests I did on the Modem took several days/weeks to complete . The next stage was to replace a lot of hardware an reconfigure quite a lot of stuff. Being out of the country for extended periods made this difficult .

I've now installed the kit as suggested and the problem appears to continue.

ABTW. I find that most of the really useful threads I find on the web are about 5+ years old. I can see that having them fill with junk/spam would make them less useful, but the ability to have the whole solution in one place not just the 1sy 6 months of effort would be/is really useful.

The great examples I've seen (on other forums) are when a discussion takes place between several people with a problem, then goes quiet . The a couple of years later , the author of the e.g. the software stumbles upon it, explain how it's supposed to be used and sometimes makes a fix to address the issue.

(One solution might be, after 6 months, require all updates to now go via moderator first, the goal being "does this make a substantive improvement to the content")

There's one forum I visit maybe one a year, it backs up a firmware which is released on an irregular cycle. Each time I find "Thread#1" , which ends this now closed ...seek out thread#2 , ditto ...end up on Thread#9 which starts "This is the latest version.."  which might help except threads 2-8 all start this way.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Looks like there's a hard system lock on the thread that can't be overridden.
Unfortunately you'll need to create a new thread.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'