Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

@ tagging helper is short on options

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@ tagging helper is short on options

I think this has been raised and believed to have been fixed before.  I'm seeing variable behaviour in the @ tagging helper suggestions.

I believe that when writing a reply to a topic, @ tagging is first supposed to offer tags to names which have contributed to the topic being replied to.  It is not clear at what point this behaviour changes to a generic match to any community member name.

In responding to this - https://community.plus.net/t5/Home-Phone/Caller-ID-NOT-free/m-p/1522751#M25898 - and wanting to tag @dvorak - his ID was not listed on typing @ and "d" and then "v".

In wanting to tag him here (above), though the helper text says "type 2 letters" 'dv' reports "no matches" whereas 'dvo' finds him and one other with 'dvo' in the middle of their ID.  There is only the one user whose first letters are 'dv' - should the helper have found such a match on just 2 characters, as implied by the guidance text?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

7 REPLIES 7
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: @ tagging helper is short on options

Hi @Townman, at the top of the mention suggestion box after hitting the @ key you should see the text say 'in the conversation' like this:

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 10.01.31.png

This should list around 10 users max (don't quote me on that though). After typing 2 or more characters that don't match anyone in the conversation it will revert to a full user search. I think one of the reasons for this is to keep the server load to a minimum when searching for users as you type. This is something I have had to implement on full website searches many moons ago and it would only initiate the search after the 3rd character. I am not sure why dvoraks username would not popup for you though. Were there a lot of other users participating in the topic?

Edit: I just checked the thread in question and it does the same for me when trying to mention dvorak. I don't know why this happens.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jaread83@Townman For wait it is worth, when using this approach to cite a user not in the list I see that @dvorak will appear after typing dvo.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That concurs with my experience.

There is only the one user whose first letters are 'dv' - should the helper have found such a match on just 2 characters, as implied by the guidance text?

May be the issue is that this actually only works on 3 characters and the guidance is wrong? Only 2 characters does not actually search for anything?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is something not quite right here. When you enter the AT symbol the mention someone dialog appears. For me there are two options one for each of you. However, if I want to narrow this down (!) and I type J, Townman remains in the list which to me is not right. If I then continue to type JA I then get a single entry with that username, but jaread is no longer in the list!

Most odd.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

why is everyone picking on me?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I haven't done an exhaustive investigation but difficulty locating some members appears to me to be related to the presence or absence of a decoration in front of the name. Such as admin, gaffer, mod or a gold star. If a decoration is present I think a "within text" 3 or more letter search might be needed.

David
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@dvorak wrote:
why is everyone picking on me?

No so much picking on you, as it was your name I more profoundly noticed the issue on - there are very few users with the letters 'DV' in their user name - so your name not being displayed could not be confused with the results list being too long. Grin