Re: "Forum Search" up the spout?

May be ugly but much better van the old one.  Wink
xpcomputers
Grafter

Re: "Forum Search" up the sprout?

Which are people more sick of:

• Sprouts

• or this search bug?  Grin

Could the temporary "plain" search page be linked from the "pretty" but useless main search page? Or even on the results pages... (Something like:- "Not seeing the results you expected, try this alternative search method <linky>").
I never usually get here via the home page, so the search link there isn't the most intuitive place for widespread use.
Mike
P.S. I personally like sprouts, especially mashed with cream and nutmeg!! I just know that for many sprouts is one of the continual struggles with this time of the year (something annoying to be endured!)... hopefully just as sprout season leaves us, so will the search bug!!!
I've taken the liberty of changing the OP title from "Forum Search up the spout" to "Forum Search up the sprout" in honour of the similarities both in spelling and potential to annoy many! Those of us "geeks" who love sprouts are of course already using the "plain" temporary search page now!

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: xpcomputers
Which are people more sick of:

• Sprouts

• or this search bug?  Grin

<snip>
I've taken the liberty of changing the OP title from "Forum Search up the spout" to "Forum Search up the sprout" in honour of the similarities both in spelling and potential to annoy many!

Like it!  Cheesy Why didn't you add a poll with the above options?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
xpcomputers
Grafter

I'll look and see if I can add a poll retrospectively. I guess I 'll need several options.... for which is worse, or both, or either not  a problem etc etc.
Or maybe just 2... sprouts or search bug... make the indecisive ones choose one side or the other!
Off to play with the first post....
Mike
xpcomputers
Grafter

If you scroll to the top, there is now a poll added.... get your votes in.....
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I want an option - I like sprouts - adding  Grin
James
Grafter

Duly obliged Wink
xpcomputers
Grafter

Grin
James, you've compromised the integrity of the whole survey now!
How can we get genuine results if people are allowed to vote for "something they like" in a survey of "which is more annoying" ? ? ?   

It is an invalid option!!!
If you like sprouts, you can always say the forum search is "more" annoying.....
I was hoping that the results of the survey would help us definitively know which was worse... whereas now, I think there'll always be a level of ambiguity on this important issue.
We had once chance in history to set the record straight, and you wimped out by offering a 3rd option!!! grrrrrr
Shame on you!
Grin
James
Grafter

Sorry Sad
xpcomputers
Grafter

It's OK James, I accept your apology....
Sadly the results of this potentially historic survey of worldwide significance will now be reduced to the lowly status of "just another forum poll result" and not even picked up by the major scientific journals, let alone the mainstream newspapers!
However, we can't go back now.... Wink
I look forward to seeing the result anyway!  Grin
Mike
P.s. I had to look up "FTW" in google, as the only thing I could think of was WTF backwards... which I (correctly) guessed wasn't the definition! For others wondering... I discovered it means "For The Win" and is a term to describe something you think people can't do without / is the best... (think "the bee's knees"!)
James
Grafter

Yes, I should apologise to Bob Milton for what would appear to be jargon and subsequently I'll be hanging my head in shame all the way to the pub.
xpcomputers
Grafter

To put this thread back on track... (poll results aside)... is there any news on the fixing of the search tool?
Or the wider publishing and smartening of the google search tool?
This is still bugging me!!!
Mike
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've tried to use the google tool a couple of times and found that I couldn't search for a post by a specific user. It searches across the whole displayed page so if the words appear in multiple posts on the same page you can't find a specific post, it gets totally confused by the NEW links on the indexes and you get results where the URL links to ...topic,12345.new.html which will only give the right result if you have viewed exactly the same posts in the topic as the search engine, you can't search on specific boards etc. etc. etc.
In other words, as a forum search tool it is totally and utterly useless. Sad
What we need is the SMF search fixing!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Also:
The google search results contain so little of the actual text of the posts it's impossible to guess which one might be the one you want.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've managed to find a way of getting forum search to work to a limited (but usable) extent.
Use Advanced Search and limit the message age to a number of days such as 0 to 50.
Doing that I've had 100% success on finding things in recent posts including today.
I think this points to either the SQL query timing out if the range is too big, or a limit on the number of rows the SQL query returns.