Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

forum ranks

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

forum ranks

I'm well aware there are other posts (like "what makes a Veteran") elsewhere on here.

The reason I've started a new topic is that I was rather unhappy to just see a newcomer* displaying the rank "hooked" : /  reminiscent of "dewie snared" or whatever it was that some-other-ISP used for new users, many years back.

The word "hooked" seems somewhat derogatory, and doesn't fit with the ethos of the forum here.  I should maybe point out that I'm completely "not-PC" so it's very rare for me to make such a comment.

Any chance of changing "hooked" to something else?  not that I'm recommending "pilgrim" which is what the Lithium Community forum apparently uses for its newest sign-ups : /

* edited to add - just seen a "newbie" rank for someone who made a first post - not sure where "hooked" kicks in but I think it's there from 3 posts upwards (not sure how high that goes).

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
36 REPLIES 36
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: forum ranks

Hi Penny,  I've seen one poster that had hooked upto five posts, when it changed to Newbie. I can see what you mean about it possibly being offensive. New sign-ups seemed to have been given "Just Looking" but that might be before email confirmation, as I've also seen "Browser" with 0 posts. I think it changes to hooked after the first post.
I did suggest during testing that Newbie should remain for at least the first 10 posts, but I'm sure Plusnet aren't going to tell us. Have you a better suggestion than Pilgrim, not too keen on that?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@Penny,

I have just reviewed the "Rankings discussion thread" from the consultation process - its 8 pages long.

There was a big dynamic between keeping the 'rankings' the same as what was in the old forums and changing to something 'new', 'exciting' and 'fun' which would encourage people to make more posts!  As a result there are a fair few roles to work one's way through now, which personally I feel convey nothing of too much worth.

Winning is not what's important - its taking part in the process which counts. Roll_eyesUndecidedLips_are_sealed

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Plusnet have said that time logged in also affects ranks.One can only guess but perhaps this has more influence through early history leading to apparent inconsistencies between rank and the numbers we see.

What is clear is that ranks change quite quickly in early days and maybe the words used shouldn't be taken too seriously. Tongue

David
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@spraxyt wrote:

What is clear is that ranks change quite quickly in early days and maybe the words used shouldn't be taken too seriously. Tongue

Easy enough for you to say... but I agree with Penny... "hooked" is not a very nice term, when associated with a new member or customer... it kinda smacks of  "Ya.... Gotcha.... MUG..... Welcome to the world of suckers. ." 

Anotherone
Champion

Somebody could take offense at a Rank 'Old Codger' but you seemed happy with that Tongue

Come on, think of a better name then that fits. Here's the current list (approximately I think).

• Just Looking  0 posts (unconfirmed email?)
  • Browser  0 posts
  • Hooked   1-5 posts
  • Newbie  6 posts to ?
spraxyt
Resting Legend

@shutter wrote:

Easy enough for you to say... but I agree with Penny... "hooked" is not a very nice term,

So you post how indignant you are about having that label .... and discover you don't have it any more. Roll_eyes

Edited to clarify which post my reply refers to.

David
Anotherone
Champion

Sorry, to be clear he never had it, he's what he's got, but didn't sound to happy with it in his original thread about that rank Wink and Old Codger was one of the suggestions he could replace it with Grin There were others but we won't mention them Tongue

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Well, I've now got the Label of 'Grafter'  and that's not been true for many a year.   Cool_smiley

Still as long as I never get called late for Dinner - I'm not that fussed.  Grin Angel

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

Maurice, you should be a Community Veteran Smiley unless you prefer something else Wink

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

So why do you need three "ranks"  for posting less than 7 times?    seems a bit "extravagant...  I would have thought that "newbie"  would have covered them all...

As for being an "Old Codger"... perhaps I should change my "user name" to that... ....  Huh

spraxyt
Resting Legend

@MauriceC wrote:

Well, I've now got the Label of 'Grafter'  and that's not been true for many a year.  Cool_smiley

@MauriceC If you get just one more "thanks" I think grafting might be in the past. Grin

David
Anotherone
Champion

How's that Wink Fixed eh!

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

@Anotherone wrote:

Hi Penny,  I've seen one poster that had hooked upto five posts, when it changed to Newbie. I can see what you mean about it possibly being offensive. New sign-ups seemed to have been given "Just Looking" but that might be before email confirmation, as I've also seen "Browser" with 0 posts. I think it changes to hooked after the first post.
I did suggest during testing that Newbie should remain for at least the first 10 posts, but I'm sure Plusnet aren't going to tell us. Have you a better suggestion than Pilgrim, not too keen on that?

yes I'd seen "Just looking ..." after making the edit to the first post, didn't want to edit the post yet again and muddy the waters even further Smiley  not seen "Browser", though.

liked "Just looking ..." , seems so much more friendly.  "Newbie" is passable, bit like an L-plate. 

As regards a possible replacement for "hooked" - no idea.  "Pilgrim" clearly won't do : /   just did a search for "forum ranks" on google and found some interesting stuff, however.

... I already like "Community Gaffer" for the top PN admin guys.

... and maybe "Community Guru" in place of "Community Veteran", if people don't like that.

Interim ranks are a whole lot more difficult, though - I'm guessing you guys had fun trying to sort all this lot out, initially : D

Trailblazer, Guide, Adept, Wayfinder, Mentor, Associate, Star ... the nearer-the-top ranks are probably easier, but us lower-down-people (I mean me, not you!) are difficult to label without perhaps causing annoyance - I wasn't quite saying "hooked" was "offensive" rather that it's not a label anyone would enjoy carrying, or aspire to : )

Most of the existing ranks seem fine - there would be alternatives like "Level 1" (series) or colours (series) - but less interesting, probably.

... about the only thing I can think of, as a replacement for "hooked" would be "First Level" ... (or maybe "Mezzanine Level", between "Newbie" and whatever currently follows "hooked").  I'd be surprised if someone on here couldn't find something better than either of those ; )

footnote - hadn't expected there would be so many replies since I first started writing this post! - I think Shutter summed up best what I was trying to convey, with

"hooked" is not a very nice term, when associated with a new member or customer... it kinda smacks of  "Ya.... Gotcha.... MUG..... Welcome to the world of suckers. ." 
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@Penny,

I can assure you it was not fun - I think that this issue caused a lot of soul searching debate ... and it looks like it will carry on.  Personally I just do not see the merit of it - what we had previously seemed adequate.