Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

edit a post with adding # sign and a number together

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

edit a post with adding # sign and a number together

this test line with have a number at end once I edit it and if it bugs, it will popup a new window

edit: well it bugged again, attached is what happens if I try to edit a post with eg a ticket number with a hash at front, so # 12345 without the space will force that page every time

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) removed inappropriate tag.

FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
19 REPLIES 19
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: edit a post with adding # sign and a number together

@Gus wrote:

this test line with have a number at end once I edit it and if it bugs, it will popup a new window

this test line with have a number at end once I edit it and if it bugs, it will popup a new window #1234

Testing using FF47.0

EDIT:   It worked. for me?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gus
Aspiring Pro

using waterfox 46.0.1

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Having a hash and number together will not cause this issue. The authentication error seems to happen at random with no rhyme or reason. It looks like this might not be an issue with the browser after all.

@LouisaMartin, can you feedback the authentication/secure connection bug with a link to this thread please?

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@jaread83 wrote:

It looks like this might not be an issue with the browser after all.

Hallelujah!   A number of us having been saying this for some time.  It may well be true that the FF 'bug' caused or exacerbated some of the instances, but too many instances with other OS's and browsers.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jaread83 wrote:

It looks like this might not be an issue with the browser after all.

Doh!, good grief, after all this time, at last it sinks in !

You won't mind then if we say "TOLD YOU SO !"

If you would now listen and switch the site from HTTPS to HTTP, then we might start getting somewhere.

Crazy

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

So why have I not seen the problem at all since rolling back to version 45 of my Waterfox browser Undecided

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could this is down to the way the editor / javascript used to post this very content interprets the # symbol, as it is used in HTML as a pseudo anchor tag, so it may well be confusing itself.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I said it 'might' be @Anonymous. It could have just been V46 of FF that was affected as they had changed some things with the browser in that version and have since applied updates to that component in FF47. This bug may not have been present in earlier versions of FF so its hard to tell what has changed since. I haven't received a single instance of the error since upgrading so far so...

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Anonymous, that is a possibility but the URL that is generated removes the hash when creating the URL for the thread. We are keeping our eye on this still anyway.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fair enough @jaread83 it was worth a thought, so I'll move on item number #2 for a test.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I've seen a few posts with ticket numbers of the format #12345 mentioned and none of the posters have reported an issue. Assuming I'm understanding the issue correctly, I'll add #67890 just to be sure.

Gus
Aspiring Pro

Getting it on random posts now, not just any with a ticket number with or without a.  But a work around i have found

I am typing it up in the rich text editor and if I can't preview it, it will bug out as described after hitting post.  If after typing my reply or thread post and double checking with preview, I then switch to html it will then work in both preview and post

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

When you say it bugs out, do you mean the circle of dots is just rotating and the preview is not generated? Does it provide you with any kind of error at all? Also, what browser and OS are you currently using?

The more info we can gather the better chance we can have for finding out what's happening exactly.

Gus
Aspiring Pro

win7 Pro

Waterfox 46.0.1 with only ADblock 2.0 addon active

Yes I get a circle icon when it preview bugs but can't remember the message.  Will see if I can trigger it editing this post

edit: caught it and all I tried to edit in was the # and number below