Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would have been nice to inform us of forced changes to username

Simon_F
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Would have been nice to inform us of forced changes to username

In the "Your new Community is live!"  email it said "To get browsing and posting, simply log on here with your current username."

but it would have been nice if you'd told us that some usernames would be changed. (I presume whoever wrote the forum software can't write a parser that handles characters that other forums have no problem with.)

I wasted quite some time trying to work out how to access the new community both hanging on the phone (and was promised a call back that I didn't receive) and then on the chat service. It was only by resetting the password (to the same password) that I found what my username had been changed to.

I can't imagine I was the only one in this situation. Perhaps you could send out an email suggesting how the usernames may have been altered?

7 REPLIES 7
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Re: Would have been nice to inform us of forced changes to username

Plusnet did tell everyone, i got an e-mail twice on the new changes and the forums had announcements too.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@Simon_F It's the original forum "username" as opposed to "display" name that had to be migrated because it was that which was associated with your email address.

Over here username/display/login name are one and the same thing. Have you got the correct name ok now?

Simon_F
Grafter

@St3 wrote:

Plusnet did tell everyone, i got an e-mail twice on the new changes and the forums had announcements too.

I got one on 29.03 that said:

After the new site is live you'll need to log on at https://community.plus.net with your current username,

and then the one on Monday.

Can't see anything in either suggesting the username would be changed because of less common characters. <shrug>

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi Simon,

This is covered in the FAQ here: https://community.plus.net/t5/help/faqpage

Sorry if you weren't aware of that.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Simon_F
Grafter

@Anotherone wrote:

@Simon_F It's the original forum "username" as opposed to "display" name that had to be migrated because it was that which was associated with your email address.

Given that it seems I registered back in 2007, I can't be certain, but I'd be surprised if I'd set the "displayed" name to be different to the "username", given that I used the same on a few other forums.

Simon_F
Grafter

@Chris wrote:

Hi Simon,

This is covered in the FAQ here: https://community.plus.net/t5/help/faqpage

Sorry if you weren't aware of that.

Ahh.

I guess that rules out changing it to "Bobby Tables" then.

exploits_of_a_mom

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Ah yes, little Bobby Tables.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.