cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will this ever end?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will this ever end?

I know Grin But the reason MS has chosen to go down this route is for security and I think it's for the better and one of Microsoft’s better ideas. If the user doesn’t need to worry about patching their machine then all the better for them. Yes the timing isn’t always the best but if it makes for a securer, safer internet then I’m all for it.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

I'm sorry for the issues some of you are seeing but I'm going to be absolutely crystal clear here as I've tried to be every time this has been reported.

I understand when things break you might look for causes and commonalities, that's 100% fine but 

• It doesn't matter what browser you're using 
  • it doesn't matter if you click stay logged in or not (I've had issues both ways)
  • It's not caused by work at our data centres, we don't even host the Community.
  • it's not caused by the survey, it's suppressed for internal IP's and I still get the issue at times. 

It's especially hard for our suppliers to rectify this problem as they're unable to replicate it when they log into the Plusnet Community and as such (as I'm not always affected) I have to ask if it's been resolved. Each time it's broken the same action has fixed it (sometimes not the first time our suppliers have done it)

I've also requested that we are upgraded early to the latest version of the software in the hopes that it fixes the issue, we're usually upgraded every other version but in the meantime, our suppliers continue to investigate. 

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Thanks for that, @JonoH . I understand what you are saying, but, if the same action by your suppliers fix it every time - eventually - should they not be looking for the cause? That was what the IT department at my ex-employers used to do.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JonoH Can I suggest you ask the developers to look at the cookies, caching and session state management on the client and server side please. As you’ve not said what happens when the ‘fix’ is applied I’m assuming it’s tantamount to a Ctrl+Alt+Del!

I appreciate this is supposition on my part and by no means am I telling them (or you) how to do their job, but my gut instinct is that solution lies in the above.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@jab1

@JonoH does not describe the supplier’s actions which ‘fixes’ the issue, I suspect that they are not disclosing what they do to PlusNET. There’s a difference between cure and make it go away, the latter usually being a service restart, without looking at the operational status of an individual’s connection. A problem such as this requires product tech support to engage with an end user experiencing the issue at the time it happens.

Diagnostic methods ought then be capable of identifying the path / resources / service state of that individual user and thereby identify the cause. However that probably requires timely access to second or third line support - not front line support agents.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I forgot to say in my post above, the reason the developers can’t replicate the issue may be down to their position on the network and as a consequence may not be subject to the same environment we are as remote users of the system.

jab1
Legend

@Townman 

I completely understand what you are saying, but does not the fact that 'the same action by our suppliers every time ''fixes'' the problem' indicate the problem is the same every time?

Maybe it does need Khorus to engage with an end-user, but is that likely?

@Anonymous Very good point.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

It would appear that not everything is right. I have just been sent an email with this content:

Hi Mook,

jab1 (Aspiring Hero) mentioned you in a post! Take a look at what they said and join in the conversation here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Community-Site-Feedback/Will-this-ever-end/m-p/1643585#M15759 Subject: Re: Will this ever end? @Townman I completely understand what you are saying, but does not the fact that 'the same action by our suppliers every time ''fixes'' the problem' indicate the problem is the same every time? Maybe it does need Khorus to engage with an end-user, but is that likely?

However, as you can see there is no mention of me in here! But on viewing the message on the site I see that it has been edited with a mention. (Is this correct @jab1?.)

So the question is why was the original message sent and not the edited version, or is this albeit odd, the correct and expected behaviour?

jab1
Legend

Correct, @Anonymous , I added you in the edit.

John
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@Anonymous wrote:

@JonoH Can I suggest you ask the developers to look at the cookies, caching and session state management on the client and server side please.

That's exactly what our suppliers have done to get the quick fix, they're of course looking into the cause but the issue doesn't seem to exist on the newest version of the software, that's why whilst our suppliers continue to look for the cause, I've asked for a priority upgrade to the latest version outside of our normal scheduling. 

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent news @JonoH, but you might want to bring to their attention the two messages above.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well the quicker they roll this out the better as the issue has returned again.
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Regarding W10. If you so wish, you can adjust the update settings so it doesn't restart during 'normal' use.

active hours.PNG

(you can turn off auto updates too, but that's not the normal thing to do for the majority of users)

Anyway, Thanks Jono for your reply.

I shall no longer blame anything other than the forum platform itself.

(still odd that both of mine were related to clicking no thanks to the survey, but hey ho, I now know these were simply a coincidence)

I did try leaving myself logged in and had this upon trying to see the notifications:

so i stayed logged in.PNG

Looking forward to the update and thus no more forum bugs....

jab1
Legend

That 'session expired' notice has never come up for me, @DS and I've been logged into the forums for a good six months on the laptop - maybe one of the experts on here or CS could explain that?

John
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Oh blimey, so you don't see that Huh

I left the forums open and signed in from around 3am until I came back a little while a go. No cleaning done either

But it's okay, as it isn't anything else but these forums and this will not be an issue once we get the update/upgrade. I can't wait to be able to read and post without any issues at all Azn

(and no, no might used either. I'm confident 1x wheel will be repaired/replaced and 3x new ones will be fitted - but will there be hover wagons by then?Evil)