cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does uploading pictures or indeed any files seem to be so slow and difficult

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Why does uploading pictures or indeed any files seem to be so slow and difficult

Quote from: w23
Nearly 10 15 30 minutes now and original browser tab for first attachment still 'Connecting..' and 'Waiting for community.plus.net' but second upload clearly succeeded - no timeout yet.  Second attachment (while first tab still 'stuck') returned to topic correctly and reasonably promptly.

Attempt to upload the attached failed completely - trying again... and again... finally succeeded on third attempt.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Why does uploading pictures or indeed any files seem to be so slow and difficult

Just tried to post another picture but the page has sat there for the last 4 minutes and nothing has happened.
picbits
Rising Star

Testing again :
This didn't go through the first time so trying again.
Mav
Fixes: 515

I've got so used to the quirkiness of posting pictures that when I need to do so I just open in a new tab to post then if the picture seems to take a long time to load refresh the forum page and if my post is showing then just close the posting page.
Second nature now Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anonymous
Not applicable

As 'Mav' said, I always open a second browser tab to check when the upload has completed, then close the original 'hung' tab.  Sad
shalom2010
Grafter

I wonder why we have these issues? Are there any theories? It's almost like trying to get through a security system or firewall.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

My theory is that the problem is related to this problem: as I browse these forums, packets arrive from Plusnet IP addresses I never sent anything to (even if I don't use https to browse these forums).
Image attached to test attaching image.
Edit: it's the kind of problem that disappears when you try to investigate it.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: Mav
I've got so used to the quirkiness of posting pictures that when I need to do so I just open in a new tab to post then if the picture seems to take a long time to load refresh the forum page and if my post is showing then just close the posting page.
Second nature now Wink
Any update on this as I am still seeing this problem and it is a total pain
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

I suspect it is related to: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,121023.msg1049922.html#new
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Anonymous
Not applicable

- Deleted -
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Is there any reason why it should be worse when we are on the IPv6 trial?
What are Plusnet doing about this?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Is it worse on IPv6?  (I missed Purleigh's response before he deleted it Smiley )
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The screen shots I posted to the IPv6 on TG582 topic took a number of attempts.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
TORPC
Grafter

It happens at various times of the day / night, and I dread posting diagnostic screen shots, it does not matter it is 1 or more images
O/S Vista IPV6 turned off
I am using the latest version of F/Fox  26.0
Avast AV
Spybot S&D Teatimer
2 x TG582n
1 x Netgear DGN2000
Plusnet's default DNS
and
Open DNS
Following Mav's advice seems to work
Quote from: Mav
Second nature now Wink

Adding DSLstats graphs to compare with others to see if it helps
[Edit:]
new tab open editing this post as the I still have the green spinning circle in the original Tab after clicking on [Post], which is not clearing and recognising that it has posted to the forum
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have just had the problem again but this time where there wasn't an attachment.
The page just hung but opening another tab I found that it had loaded the post