cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does uploading pictures or indeed any files seem to be so slow and difficult

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Why does uploading pictures or indeed any files seem to be so slow and difficult

Please add your experiences here for Kelly to have a look at.
For a start
Uploading a picture is very quick judging by the monitored usage but then it just freezes when I try to post
Some times it then loads but often it just sits there
I will run some tests using Firebug to get some detailed results
46 REPLIES 46
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Re: Why does uploading pictures or indeed any files seem to be so slow and difficult

Added picture
In this case after adding a picture then removing it and adding another it just sat doing nothing just waiting but opening anorther TAB I find that the post has been modified even though it is still showing as waiting for community etc. in the original Tab
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Re: Why does uploading pictures or indeed any files seem to be so slow and difficult

a second post which took nearly 30 secs
this picture is from Firebug
The delay is down to 302 as it seems to be waiting for that to be found this what it is trying to get
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=post2;start=0;msg=1043902;sesc=763000ceee52852375b329831c6022dc;board=17
Anonymous
Not applicable

This has been going on for at least as long as I have been a member.
My get around is to right click on the forum title at the top of the page, which then opens in a new tab, and shows me when the post, with image has arrived.
I've had spinning balls !! for hours some times, when the post had arrived after just a few seconds.
shalom2010
Grafter

Just uploaded a 150k picture to http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,94496.4096.html - took 22 seconds 'waiting for community.plus.net', but for a change did not timeout. At the end of 22 seconds it
returned to the topic with my picture displayed.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

another post with picture taken on a walk yesterday - pretty isn't it
Guess what the original tab is still showing Connecting - waiting for community.plus.net but it has posted
See second picture and this time after a 27 sec delay it came up with 302 found
picbits
Rising Star

I've had the same - occasionally a post with a picture will go through without an issue, more often it will just stall the page but the image is uploaded anyway and rarely it won't upload the image and the page stalls.
shalom2010
Grafter

Another message I get OldJim is something like 'you are trying to upload twice' & 'timed out try again' - if I see it again I'll take a clip of it to post (like the photo!)
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Bad all the time?  Or worse at a certain point of time?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Oldjim
Resting Legend

all the time as far as I can tell or rather at almost any time as just occasionally it is a bit faster but not as fast as say the User Group Forums which are very fast at any time
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I have just tried to upload a jpeg and received a fail message that either the file is too big (2.4MB) or the server is busy.
I did a refresh and another message told me I had already uploaded the image.
My post is not here and there is no record of it in my posting history Undecided
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
picbits
Rising Star

Testing another image upload onto this thread :
picbits
Rising Star

Slow (around 40 seconds) but it uploaded and returned me to this page to post.
picbits
Rising Star

Another one for the sake of testing (three images) :
*Edit - 31 seconds that time so it doesn't seem to be down to the size of the image causing the slow upload.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've started a different browser so that I don't disturb the timer on the Firefox window where I added a post to this thread with a 26KB  image.
It's now been waiting for the server to respond for over 5 minutes.
Kelly: How many minutes hours days would you like me to wait to see if it ever responds?
Edit: Over 10 minutes and still waiting!
Edit 2: Now given up and trying again
Edit 3: Still having trouble - I don't think it likes the image I'm trying to upload!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)