cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does "Insert Photos" not place the picture at the current cursor position ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why does "Insert Photos" not place the picture at the current cursor position ?

Every time I go to embed a picture file into a post using the [Insert Photos] button, the picture ALWAYS appears at the top left of the "Rich Text" editor instead of at the current cursor position - where I want (and expect) the picture to appear.

This bug is a real nuisance, as to include a picture to the required location, requires the following steps -

• Selecting the editor's "Rich Text" view.
  • Move cursor to intended destination of new picture.
  • Pressing the [Insert Photos] button, and upload the picture.
  • Picture appearing in the wrong place, causing frustrated swearing !.
  • Selecting the editor's "HTML" view.
  • Identifying the start and end of the HTML code of the included picture.
  • Using the browser "CUT text" to copy and remove the HTML from the wrong place.
  • Move the cursor back to the wanted position of the picture.
  • Typing the HTML code to create a new paragraph for the picture to sit in -
    <p></p>
  • Moving the cursor to the middle of that new paragraph.
  • Using the browser "PASTE text" to insert the picture's HTML code in the correct place.
  • Preview the output, as invariably the formatting has been messed up with unwanted instances of -
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
  • Go back to the "HTML" view to delete the unwanted code (as shown above).
  • Repeat the last two steps until the layout appears as intended.
  • Hit the [Post] button, to publish your masterpiece, which should have been achieved with FAR FEWER clicks !

Please sort out the "Rich Text" editor, so including pictures is not such a performance !  Crazy

22 REPLIES 22
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Why does "Insert Photos" not place the picture at the current cursor position ?

You are simply not doing it right Wink You are making a mountain out of a mole-hill.

Just moving the cursor doesn't work. You need to either type some carriage returns if you just want space above the picture, or type text first and any carriage returns.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why does "Insert Photos" not place the picture at the current cursor position ?

Nope, that doesn't work, before or after inserting the picture !.  Sad

Anotherone
Champion

It does, I do it all the time

IMG_0815.JPG

Anotherone
Champion

The irritant with the way the RT editor is implemented here is that if you either Quote or Insert an image first and then decide you want some text or space previous to that, you have to resort to HTML to start it.

You don't have to do anything clever just put the cursor at the start, press Carriage return and type any character or some of the text you want and then return to the RT editor. A bit of a pain but quite an easy work-around.
If you just want space type more Carriage returns. You can delete that single character you typed earlier but not all the carriage returns or the image etc will go back to the top.

Have a play you'll soon get the hang of it. As I said a bit of a pain but it works.

Don't forget though, there can be the issue of lack of focus when coming back from Preview. One of the more irritating aspects of that is you can place the cursor and move it with cursor keys but when you go to type or delete it won't always respond correctly. This particular issue should be on the fix list.

btw, the editor is the TinyMCE editor. Google it. It's not a Lithium editor, but the way it's implemented here could be the cause of some of the bugs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So are you saying that if I do this -

1. Start a new reply.
  2. Type "a preceding line of text" <return>
  3. [Insert Photos] - my worst picture
  4. Type "a following line of text".
  5. <Preview>

that I should end up with -

"a preceding line of text"

TheWurst.png

"a following line of text"

Anotherone
Champion

Looks like you've got the hang of it.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Not entirely

the basic problem is that you can't type above a picture if there isn't a blank or text line there but providing you do a carriage return (which puts in a blank line) then you can do what you want.

Note that having several pictures you can type between them by putting your cursor in the correct place

It is however very clunky

Anotherone
Champion

I tend to do a return after each picture as a matter of course so it's a lot easier if you want to add anything or delete. Where you need to put the cursor is then clearer.
Anonymous
Not applicable

TheWurst.pngNo, I understand what you are both saying, but you are describing a different problem.

No matter what text exists (or not), or wherever the cursor is within the "Rich Text" window, using the [Insert Photos] will ALWAYS insert the code for that picture as the first line of code - in front of ANY existing content. 

To demonstrate, if I [Insert Photos] <now> as I type, you will see a sausage at the beginning of this reply !

Anotherone
Champion

Then there's something odd going on. Is that FF46?
Anonymous
Not applicable

No

Anonymous
Not applicable

Perhaps it is related to the error I see on many pages -

[22:47:02.040] uncaught exception: module definition dependecy not found: tinymce/util/Tools
Anonymous
Not applicable

At least inserting pictures isn't completely broken, it is just slightly irritating that images always need HTML editing into position.

If anyone else is struggling with this, following the procedure in my original post will help !.  Wink

Anotherone
Champion

I don't think there was a single person that had that issue during testing. This is really odd.