Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Posting

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

When Posting

When I am posting a new topic or replying to a topic the text size is to small in:
Subject field
main Message field
Pleas see Screen Shots
Screen Shot 1 is of my Forum
Screen Shot 2 is of your Forum
Screen Shot 3 is of my Forum & your Forum
12 REPLIES 12
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Re: When Posting

This may make the point a bit better, the text on your forum is smaller and compressed.
Pleas see Screen Shots
Not applicable

Isn't part of it because of the font used here?
I think it might be a slightly smaller size, but when they changed the branding they also changed the font.
It looks as if yous uses something like Verdana, while the font here looks more like Times New Roman.
(Verdana was created to make it easy to read on screen I think, while TNR was designed to be used for printed documents IIRC)
chillypenguin
Grafter

The sample on the left is using a "Fixed Width Font", whereas these forums use a "Proportional Font".
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Look at the i in size - that's not a fixed width font!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chillypenguin
Grafter

True.
"Not free from Faults, nor yet too vain to mend."

It's just spaced out a little more.
Not applicable

I'm certain we've had this conversation before...
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,67143.msg537874.html#msg537874

I recalled the new font incorrectly, but the basic premise is the same.
The default font is Verdana, which was designed to be readable at smaller sizes, whereas Arial was designed to be readable at larger sizes.
Arial came first, before monitors were able to cope with the sorts of resolutions we see in use these days, hence the resolutions used when Arial was designed were such that it was easily readable on screen. (Remember fixed width fonts such as Courier
As resolutions became higher and users crammed more into their desktop, Verdana was created so that the smaller words would be easier to read.

For some reason, the marketing bods at PN decided that they preferred the old-fashioned-harder-to-read font, rather than the much easier on the eye Verdana. Tongue
So these days on this site we can fit more words on the screen, but they are harder to read. I bet I'm not the only one who doesn't come here so much since the redesign for fear of getting headache from straining to read the text. Grin

As you may have guessed, I prefer the default Verdana font. I think its much easier to read (certainly is on my set-up anyway) but who am I to tell a graphic designer or marketeer that they are wrong?
PS. The last couple of lines are in Verdana just like the entire board used to be - doesn't it look better?
artificer
Grafter

can't you change the font within your own system?  i can.  i'm reading this comfortably in the font of my choice - luxi sans.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: James_G
As you may have guessed, I prefer the default Verdana font. I think its much easier to read (certainly is on my set-up anyway) but who am I to tell a graphic designer or marketeer that they are wrong?
PS. The last couple of lines are in Verdana just like the entire board used to be - doesn't it look better?

Yes it does look better
artificer, No I can not do that!
James
Grafter

What browser are you using Gary?
Was it IE7?
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

No Internet Explorer v6.   Smiley
[Edit]
With  Firefox Your Forum and My Forum.  Wink
Pleas see Screen Shots
geewizz
Grafter

I use Opera and changed the minimum font size to 14 in Tools > Preferences > Advanced.
The other trick to use if you don't want to make such a sweeping change is to hold down the Ctrl key and use the scroll wheel on the mouse to increase and decrease the font sizes in a window. If you don't have a scroll wheel, use the + and - keys with the Ctrl key depressed.
artificer
Grafter

in firefox, edit/preferences/content allows you to choose the font you want and the default size.  under advanced, you can specify minimum size.