Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats changed with the cancel messages?

FIXED
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Whats changed with the cancel messages?

This is aimed at @jaread83 as it is probably website design related.

What has happened to custom messages when clicking cancel on a webpage? I am seeing lots of "This page is asking asking you to confirm that you want to leave" type messages, and it's not just me

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/176204-Message-quot-Do-you-want-to-leave-this-page-q...

Is this some new UI standard?

9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Whats changed with the cancel messages?

it is a javascript device to ensure that you get a warning when you are leaving a posting screen - at least it is here

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had an unexpected  "are you sure you want to leave the page" pop-up earlier.

All I had done is compose a reply,  I'd done a "Preview",  spotted a change I needed to make,  clicked the "Rich Text" tab,  moved the mouse pointer into the edit box where I wanted to make the edit,  then did a single left mouse button click to set the cursor, and that is when the pop-up occurred.

I didn't bother reporting it as I assumed that the useless part-time achieve nothing Plusnet web team would say "nobody else has reported it", or "we will add it as low priority to the mythical list of things we have no intention of ever looking at", or "we can't change functionality because that is part of the Lithium product". 

I'm fed up with the daily pathetic excuses from Plusnet, grow some balls and demand that Lithium engineers are on site until all the issues are resolved.  Plusnet paid for this garbage, and it's about time they set some deadlines for having a working forum which doesn't break almost every time it is used.

Why the hell don't Plusnet admit they made a mistake, and switch forum providers to a company who actually responds to change requests, properly investigates issues, and are seen to actively maintain their product ?.

Why has virtually nothing been done about ANY reported issues after ten weeks of constant struggle with this forum which should never have gone live until ALL the concerns of the beta testers had been resolved.

Angry

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

By default, you could leave the page while composing a message and if it didn't autosave the content it would be lost forever. As @Oldjim has pointed out, I added a script that would provide a message to confirm you wanted to leave the reply page. This script ignores interactions with the tabs so not sure why this would affect you @Anonymous.

@Browni, can I ask what browser you are using? If it's IE there might be a slight difference to how the script interacts with the browser and I will need to extend my customisation to make sure it works on that particular browser.

This is my own customisation and is nothing to do with the Lithium platform. It was requested by the test users to include this functionality as losing your post because of clicking a link to leave the page was not providing any kind of way to stop the page from leaving.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

Thanks for the reply @jaread, I'm using Palemoon on all my devices.

I'm surprised you say it's a customisation you've made because the O2 forum uses the same, rather obtuse, message.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Okay, I will have to get Palemoon onto a windows machine and take a look.

The system does provide a message by default but the testers found that it didn't appear in some situations. I think either after or before the autosave kicks in it didn't show the message, not sure... but that's why I added a script. Some browsers support the ability to make the message say whatever you want but some browser can't and will show a default message. Here it is for posterity:

var submitted = false;
        window.onbeforeunload = function (e) {
            if (submitted == false) {
                var message = "Are you sure you want to navigate away from your reply?", e = e || window.event;

setTimeout(function () {
                    // The user stayed, so do whatever you want
                    $("#submitContext_3").removeClass('lia-link-disabled');
                    $("#messageQuote").removeClass('lia-link-disabled');
                    $("#submitContext_1").removeClass('lia-link-disabled');
                    $('.lia-form-submit .lia-button-wrapper').removeClass('lia-link-disabled');
                    $('.lia-button-overlay').hide();
                }, 100);

if (e) {
                    e.returnValue = message;
                }
                return message;
            }
        }
        $(".lia-button-Submit-action").click(function() {
            submitted = true;
        });

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As an aside, I had this script configured to not display the message when clicking the 'post' button. I felt it was needed on the cancel button as it gives you an extra layer of 'are you sure?'. @Browni, are you suggesting I should extend my script to also include the 'cancel' button to not display the message? This would remove the prompt but some users might feel like they need this layer of protection when composing a message...

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Regarding the customisation - I seem to remember that the basic functionality was there but that there were some circumstances where it didn't work and I think that was when leaving the Preview screen

Browni
Aspiring Hero

It seems that FF (and Palemoon) ignore any custom messages when leaving a form.
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix
Ah yes I do recall that. It's becuase the text box is not available to the page when previewing the content so it wouldn't stop you from leaving the page. I personally think that the script works as intended. As @Browni mentioned, FF based browsers do not display the custom message (and you can't change that) and will display the default message.