cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What on earth is going on here?

Anonymous
Not applicable

What on earth is going on here?

According to my Avatar my post count is 1997 (excluding this one), as you can see in the image, but yesterday I know it was over 2K. Looking at my posts I see I have 101 pages of historical posts, each page displays 20 posts with page 101 showing 5 posts. So when I went to school this would equal 2005. So where are the missing posts?

Well as the posts aren't really missing the Avatar is out of sync, so does anyone have any thoughts on this?

On posting this I just noticed that my Fixes is showing a value of 3 when previously it was 4, having myself 'fixed' the x64 hardware thread. OK I guess another post could have been 'unfixed' so is there anyway to see this?

23 REPLIES 23
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: What on earth is going on here?

@Anonymous

The counters aren't very reliable as we've already seen with the unread count issue. For the past 48 hours, my community rank has varied from PRO to SEASONED PRO back again to PRO and again and again. Just another example of the bad arithmetic in this software.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SpendLessTime - True, and I now see you're a Seasoned Pro (again). It really makes you wonder about the integrity of this forums' code base, if such a trivial thing as this is broken!

I wonder what Plusnet have to say?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

PN will say SOON Wink

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

The ranks are all done using specific metrics and we had seen some issues with this where solutions or thanks are revoked for whatever reason and the rank adjusts itself again. We don't have any control over how this works apart from the formula used to work out ranks unfortunately. If I was the one who programmed the ranking system I would have ranks 'stick' once acheived but I can't control this.

As for your post count I am unsure. Because I am an admin, I can see all your posts through the api and the total comes to 2006. This is counting any posts in private boards (like moderator reports or thread storage). Looking at your profile without admin privelages currently shows you as having 1999 posts.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@SpendLessTime wrote:

.......my community rank has varied from PRO to SEASONED PRO back again to PRO and again and again. Just another example of the bad arithmetic in this software. 

Been there a month or so back and was assured it was a 'one off'.    Angel

I've given up on reporting new issues I spot until after both Lithium AND Plusnet have issued a major bug fix to the core bugs we have all contributed to documenting. 

As an interim measure is there any way to deconfigure the more frustrating items like:

• Counts in general
  • Search  (absolutely essential, but unusable)
  • Notifications (great idea, but unpolished)
  • Automatic ranking changes.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It was you I was referring to in my previous post @MauriceC.

As for deconfiguring those components - what do you mean by that? I am not able to edit how the core functionality works. The most I can do is change the styles, move things around, remove components entirely or create new components.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As an aside, the counts on the left of posts for 'posts' 'thanks' and 'fixes' is my own creation but that works as expected as fair as I know.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@jaread83 wrote:

As for deconfiguring those components - what do you mean by that?

Simple really.  I'm not aware of how configurable the core is with regards to which  features are made operational for any given instantiation of the software.  So are there options available to the dev't team / admin's to temporarily remove from use some of the annoying areas of the code pending revised code from Lithium.

I'll add 'Search' to my earlier list.

Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I can remove some functionality but that would affect everyone so this can't happen. I am not prepared to remove core functionality that most users do find useful.

EDIT: When I say I can remove 'some' it would only be partial. There would still be remnants left behind and it would be a lot of work to remove it all entirely. So this isn't going to happen.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jaread83 wrote:

The ranks are all done using specific metrics and we had seen some issues with this where solutions or thanks are revoked for whatever reason and the rank adjusts itself again. We don't have any control over how this works apart from the formula used to work out ranks unfortunately. If I was the one who programmed the ranking system I would have ranks 'stick' once acheived but I can't control this.

As for your post count I am unsure. Because I am an admin, I can see all your posts through the api and the total comes to 2006. This is counting any posts in private boards (like moderator reports or thread storage). Looking at your profile without admin privelages currently shows you as having 1999 posts.

@jaread83 - I don't want to appear glib or picky but if you have access to the formula as you say above then you are able to modify how the rankings work, as by definition the formula is the ranking system; no!

As regards the count, I know for a fact it was showing over 2K yesterday, as it is way more obvious than the current values and it did pop into my head if anyone would mention the milestone as has been done before, so something has changed overnight, I did not imagine it.

So to clarify are you saying that if my post count is, for arguments sake, 2000 and I report a post as spam my avatar post count would go up to 2001 but my (other) post count as it appears in the left column of thread posts would remain at 2000?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Told you I wasn't going mad, this is what it's now showing!

Post Count!

@jaread83

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I do have access to the formula but that isn't anything I deal with (sorry), that would be down to the community team as they set it all up in the first place. The formulas are mostly what the standard ones were when it was initially setup As far as I know.. noone has messed with ny of the settings.

As for post counts, I am not sure what is going on there. @HarryB is currently asking @LouisaMartin to raise a Lithium support ticket to get this investigated.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Mook, is the number in your profile page and user menu the same as the one in the left side panel for you? The left side panel is something I put together myself using the community API as the standard component wasn't very good. If there is a disparity between these numbers then I am going to need to investigate.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

I've sent Louisa an email to raise this with Lithium.

In regards to the ranking formula, they don't appear to have been changed at all. I can only assume at this stage the inconsistency in ranking is connected to the other problems mentioned here and in another thread with post count/other reporting.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet