Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What I dislike about the new forum.

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

What I dislike about the new forum.

I have finally worked out what I really dislike about this new forum.

I find the graphics to very much resemble the 'cartoony' graphics and colour palette of the old Motorola mobile phones. Which I believe were aimed a younger, juvenile market. These colours were chosen for a reason.

The spacing

between lines, paragraphs etc is

irritating (see what I mean?) and means the screen is dominated by white glare. This is even worse on a mobile device.

3. With such large avatars, and large signatures , one has to do a lot of scrolling over irrelevant data to get to anything even remotely interesting.  With these signatures appearing immediately before the avatars of the following post, you have a screen full of'gibberish' (sorry, but to be honest I'm not interested in who has what, when, where or how, their computer system configuration or broadband speed. And if I want to know who posted a topic, does it have to be 'shouted from the rooftops?').

Could we not have the option of a 'text only' display - but removing all the spacing left by the suppressed imaging?

(And how do I preview an edited post?)

11 REPLIES 11
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: What I dislike about the new forum.

blank content posts are on my radar and we may have a way of stopping blank posts being posted altogether OR we provide a warning message for blanks posts.

If you submit a thread in the community feedback board can you please include a more descriptive title? This helps me keep track of things.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Sorry, I posted by mistake. Then I went to edit so I could actually add body text.  There was some delay between typing title and the cursor appearing in text box, so I 'entered' thinking this was the new way. (My first topic I believe on this new forum). 

Mav
Fixes: 515

@rogadodge why not turn signatures off in My Settings : Preferences > Preference Options > View signatures in posts

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Is there a setting to turn off white spaces and pink blobs Cheesy

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Yes @rongtw there is in one of the "themes" that a couple of people developed, but they aren't in the edited ones that Jack has pinned to this board. If I find them in the previous threads I'll let you know.

@rogadodge Basically this has all been covered in threads already raised on this board. Some things are slowly changing, but certain aspects of the "space" and etc. are down to Plusnet's Corporate Styling policy. As regards space between your lines etc., a <Shift><Return> will give you a new line whereas <Return> will give you a new paragraph.

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Ok thanks

@ Mav - I have turned off signatures now. Smiley
@ Anotherone- I've got to be honest, I haven't read all the posts in all the topics so I'm not aware that this has been covered.  Did they also cover the excessively large, faecesbook style 'LIKE' button? I wonder if Mark Zuckerberg has intellectual copyright?Thumbs_Up
 Also the spacing I put there was intentional - to prove a point. This is how I see the pages.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Yep button sizes have been mentioned, as has the "Title" on replies being in larger bold text than the content of the reply Roll_eyes

It might be worth mentioning that there has to be some slight compromises with things like button sizes to cope with fat fingers when using one's mobile, but that point hasn't been reached yet Lips_are_sealed

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Anotherone , Yes i have tried the Themes Roll_eyes but why has PN not changed the main forum so there is no need to THEME !!!

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Thanks for the feedback @rogadodge. Let me have a closer look at what you said:

I find the graphics to very much resemble the 'cartoony' graphics and colour palette of the old Motorola mobile phones.

This is part of the Plusnet corporate branding and it matches the main website www.plus.net. I understand that the colour pallette is not to everyones liking and some find it hard to read. If you are a firefox or chrome user I have created a 'high contrast' theme that you can apply to make everything black, white and a touch of gray.

Is it the overall size of the buttons that you don't like or is just the colour?

The spacing

between lines, paragraphs etc is

As I mentioned above, this is part of the corporate branding guidelines. Hitting return multiple times will create a new paragraph in the text editor and each paragraph has a small amount of margin applied to make it clear that a paragraph is there (you end up with a wall of text which is unreadable)

3. With such large avatars, and large signatures , one has to do a lot of scrolling over irrelevant data to get to anything even remotely interesting.

As @Anotherone mentioned, you can switch signature off and I beleive a few members have opted to turn these off as not everyone likes to see those. I have a sig but I beleive that sigs should be short 1 or 2 lines of text. Regular users are actually restricted to a few lines to stop users putting too many silly things in there.

Could we not have the option of a 'text only' display

I think this is a good idea but one that I can't implement into the core of the community (i can only do visual changes) but going by the same vein of providing a custom theme you can implement via a browser extension I can certainly look into creating a 'text only' version theme in the future.

@Anotherone, you mentioned other themes? I haven't seen any since the one I created. If you point me towards the thread I could check it out and ask if they would like their theme pinned to the theme thread...

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@jaread83 wrote:

This is part of the Plusnet corporate branding and it matches the main website www.plus.net. I understand that the colour pallette is not to everyones liking and some find it hard to read.

This is the core of the problem!  Someone senior needs to hold a review of the external image projected by this new site.  It has way too much 'White space' and many pages are far too 'busy'.  Unless there are changes to this core design, there is limited value in tinkering at the edges.  (Personal opinion)

I have a sig but I believe that sigs should be short 1 or 2 lines of text. Regular users are actually restricted to a few lines to stop users putting too many silly things in there.

@And the forum rules support this view - but even Plusnet staff choose to ignore this rule cf @Chris @HarryB with overlarge Icons in their sig.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Actually the Forum Rule

Signatures should be no more than 5 standard lines of text, including blank lines. Image based signatures should be no larger than 100x560 pixels with a file size of 40kB.

Is the same a before in terms of image size and when I checked the standard staff image used is 100px high