Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Quotes

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Using Quotes

If you wish to quote a section of someone elses post (other than copy and paste) how do you do this.?
Clearly it's a simple task but it's not obvious to me how to do it.
Thanks
[Moderator's note by Thomas (Be3G): thread moved to a more appropriate board.]
We are born into history and history is born into us.
10 REPLIES 10
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Using Quotes

At the top right of their post, there is a "QUOTE" link, which will start a reply, and include their post as a quotation within it.  You are free to delete any parts of the quote which are not relevant.
Hope that helps
B.
Be3G
Grafter

What I would just add though, gleneagles, is that the one thing we don't allow with quotes on these forums is quoting the entirety of the immediately preceding post. You might already know that, but often people don't realise it so I thought I'd mention it. Smiley
The reason, by the way, is that it's unnecessary duplication; if someone writes a post without a quote – as Barry and I have done here – then it's obvious that it relates to the general content of the post or posts above, so there's no need to add a full quote in that case. Further reading about the subject is available in the forum rules here.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Quote from: Barry
At the top right of their post, there is a "QUOTE" link, which will start a reply, and include their post as a quotation within it.  You are free to delete any parts of the quote which are not relevant.
Hope that helps
B.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Barry,
Sorry I was just trying it out...please ignore previous post with just your quote
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you think that you are making a cods wallop of the post, you can go back on the browers and not submit it, on Firefox its a big bluuis/green arrow at the top left, or backspace if you have one
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Thanks for that... just out of curiosity I assume there is no way to delete a post once it has been displayed ?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

No - but what people often do is go back and edit (modify) the post to say something like
Post deleted
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Be3G
Grafter

Yep, and then you can either wait for a moderator to spot it and remove it for you, or you can expedite the process by using the ‘Report to moderator’ link at the bottom-right of the erroneous post.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you cant report your own post
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!
Be3G
Grafter

Good point – I tried to do it myself once and similarly forgot it wasn't possible. Sad In that case, just report a neighbouring post I suppose.