cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of quotes

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Use of quotes

one of the main reasons that posters are not aware of it, is that when the Moderators remove the quote, the person who has had it removed is probably unaware if he uses the "unread posts" button to get to the answers, he then doesnt see that he has been censored and the quote removed.  
Mods do say that the offending person does get told, but I have no evidence of this, so the bad offender never knows
Using other forums where they dont seem to care drives me mad, it takes more time to read the quotes before you get to the meat of the reply
mal0z
Grafter

I nearly always use the "Unread posts" button, so I agree.
And I too have not seen evidence of a PM if a mod changed one of my posts.
chillypenguin
Grafter

We don't tend PM people for quoting the preceding post, most users soon spot it. But as Peter says this can mean that the user does not see it straight away.
On the subject of spotting it, anyone spotted coastergrotto post that has had a quote removed, as I can not find it!
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

My initial reaction was to fully agree with the OP; however I've now been persuaded that the present rules should remain. I would say, though, that thinking back to when I signed up to the Community, I don't recall the Forum Rules being prominently brought to my attentiion.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

long, long time ago
203    Products and Services Discussion / Community Support / Re: is anti spam working?  on: 21/12/2007, 12:11
Let's just hope you are right!!
Moderators note by James_H : Removed full quote of previous post, it is not needed. : Forum Rules
Spider
Grafter

I have to agree with Chilly regarding fully quoting the previous post as I too find it annoying. That said on some other boards I have taken to doing just that with certain members. The reason being is that they altered their post have you have made your reply changing completely the context what was originally written.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

For my 2 pennyworth I say only quote the previous post if it isn't clear what you are replying to, or if you are replying to a specific part of the post which you should then edit.
coastergrotto
Grafter

Quote from: chillypenguin
On the subject of spotting it, anyone spotted coastergrotto post that has had a quote removed, as I can not find it!

I can categorically assure you I did.  It was a while back and I'm pretty certain it was you who removed it.  Why else would I bothered to have started a thread about it because, as I said earlier I was rather annoyed at the time about it.
The reason I have left it until today to post is because I noticed in the 'SPAM Surge' thread that someone else had done exactly that and the quote had not been removed.    Since I posted that, and also since starting this particular thread, I have noticed you, yourself, have removed it, albeit 3 days after the original posting.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I do feel the current situation is fine.
I have joined a couple of Forums recently that don't have this rule or control and reading the forum can be quite challenging.
Clarity is good.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pierre_pierre
Grafter

@Costergrotto
If you bothered to read my post 19 you would see it was James_H way back in Dec 2007
coastergrotto
Grafter

@pierre_pierre:
With due respect I read your post but I'm not a mind reader and it didn't state that it was my post you were quoting.      Maybe I'm far too old a fart to take part in discussions on this forum.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

dont know, I am over 70 Grin
any way two before me was this question from Chilly
artmo
Aspiring Champion

When you quote a previous post the original poster is removed.  Why is this?  It is helpful to know who you are quoting.
mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
dont know, I am over 70 Grin

Smiley - so that's why you are online so often  - when you are not using your free bus pass  on Eastern National ( or whatever it's called these days ) Grin
I'm going to moderated for being off topic now - Wink but I demonstrating how I think quotes can be used reasonably ?Huh
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Sensible use of quotes mal0z Wink Wink