cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of quotes rule?

daro2096
Grafter

Use of quotes rule?

"Quotes can be a very useful way of making your reply to a post clearer by indicating which post or part of a post you are referring to.
However using them incorrectly can be annoying and make threads very hard to read.
The following rule applies to the use of quotes.
Only quote the full content of a post if :-
a) it is NOT the post immediately before your reply
b) You find that your reply has been forced onto a new page (then edit in the full quote if it's needed.)
In all cases you should think before quoting and wherever possible only use a part of the post you are replying to in order to make it clear which bit of a post your reply refers to.
The Moderators will remove unnecessary full quotes where they are posted immediately after the post being replied to."
Are these stupid rules?
8 REPLIES 8
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Use of quotes rule?

no
they keep threads shorter and help in readability  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

I think it works ok.  It avoids unnecessary duplication of information.  Sometimes threads can get long and hard to following so intelligently quoting really helps.  
I often will use the quote button, but only pull out the section of the post I'm replying to do make it easier to track
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: daro2096
"Quotes can be a very useful way of making your reply to a post clearer by indicating which post or part of a post you are referring to.
However using them incorrectly can be annoying and make threads very hard to read.
The following rule applies to the use of quotes.
Only quote the full content of a post if :-
a) it is NOT the post immediately before your reply
b) You find that your reply has been forced onto a new page (then edit in the full quote if it's needed.)
In all cases you should think before quoting and wherever possible only use a part of the post you are replying to in order to make it clear which bit of a post your reply refers to.
The Moderators will remove unnecessary full quotes where they are posted immediately after the post being replied to."
Are these stupid rules?

No because otherwise you end up with answers like this.
And in the time it took me to type this 2 3 answers were added 😉
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You've only got to look at newsgroups to see how quotes can be misused.
I've seen it before where someone will post something the size of War and Peace, then someone will quote the entire post and reply with something like "I agree", or "lol".
Also seen forums where people always use the quote button, then the next person does, followed by the person after.
Before you know it, you're reading a quote of a quote of a quote.
So I agree with this one.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I think of it like a face to face conversation where if each person repeated what the other had said before replying it would make for a very strange conversation.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
TORPC
Grafter

In face to face conversations, sometimes it helps to repeat, what the other person has said,
1. It helps one to remember, important information
2. Shows you have been listening
3. Shows you understood what has been said
4. It helps people to learn
I for one would rather people in face to face conversations (repeat or recap 100 times or more) if required to help them understand, as some are slower than us at learning & understanding
One has to work with / live with disabled people to have a greater understanding of what I refer to
I for one did not fully understand until my disabled daughter was born
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

to recap is useful, but this is only specifically repeating something verbatim immediately back - which there is a big difference.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Spider
Grafter

Quote from: dvorak
to recap is useful, but this is only specifically repeating something verbatim immediately back - which there is a big difference

The rules are very specific, so there is nothing wrong with quoting, but not using the full contents of the previous post. Wink