cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Post if error occurs prior to repost

MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Unable to Post if error occurs prior to repost

Bet that subject confused you Wink It did me!
Basically, if you're writing a post and want to add an image as an attachment, then that's fine. But what if you try to upload a gif? You get given the "Gifs not allowed, shoo!" message, which is how it should work.
The problem with that now is because the the textarea for the message gets locked when you press Post (to ensure changes aren't made to the post after the posting process has begun), when you return to your post, you cannot edit your post. The only way to fix it is to either copy all your subject/message into a notepad, or risk a page refresh.
3 REPLIES 3
Tamlyn
Grafter

Re: Unable to Post if error occurs prior to repost

Oh that's an interesting one!
I think the most sensible solution is to remove the feature that 'locks' the textarea when pressing post. Those kinds of 'disable stuff when clicking submit' behaviours seem cause more harm than good in my experience.
What do people reckon?
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Yep I agree, since it's not too practical to make it unlock on an error (the way SMF is coded I'd be surprised if it didn't take weeks to get it working correctly!).
The offending code is in script.js , think its the checkOnce function (or similarly named).
Not applicable

Not a bug, so moved to 'suggestions'