Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two (related) suggestions for future forum features

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Two (related) suggestions for future forum features

1. Ignore poster - The ability to set the posts from user nominated posters as 'do not show' [This is a standard feature of vBulletin]
2. Ignore section - The ability to select a complete category as 'do not show'
Personally I have little interest in the goings on in Chit Chat (especially recently) for instance, and it would clean up my 'unread posts' list if I could flag Chit Chat not to be displayed.
20 REPLIES 20
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Two (related) suggestions for future forum features

I'll second both the above - all I seem to get these days is clutter.
NedLudd
Grafter

Count me in too!
Geoff,
York.
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Yep. Me too
pwatson
Rising Star

Having looked into this a bit further it may not be difficult to achieve both requests, depending on what version of SMF this forum uses:
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Profile#Ignore_Boards_Options
The Ignore Boards and Buddies/Ignore List settings look ideal Smiley
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to see an "Ignore topic" feature added.
There are many times you read a new topic (with an interesting title) for the first time, and instantly know you will never be interested in the conversation, but then it appears repeatedly for weeks - and each time you have to remember whether or not you wanted to read it.
If only the reader could select a "not interested"/"Ignore topic" check box, so the topic wouldn't appear again.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: pwatson
1. Ignore poster - The ability to set the posts from user nominated posters as 'do not show'

Do you mean -
 Don't show new topics that have been started by the nominated poster(s).
or
 Don't display or notify of the latest post in a topic, if the latest post was made by the nominated poster(s),
 but continue to display and notify as normal when a post is made by members other than the nominated poster(s).
pwatson
Rising Star

The latter was what I had in mind, with the addition of not showing the contents of any posts from an ignored user if you do open the thread, (as this is what vBulletin does and I suspect is the behaviour within SMF) but your suggestion of adding 'Ignore Thread' would cover the former.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Any and all of the above would be ideal.  Grin
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

No input from the mods, they must be ignoring this.  Cheesy
That's RPM to you!!
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Why do you say that, not sure they have any control over such features anyway? And it's a bank holiday weekend.
It's a suggestion I've discussed in PM's with at least one of them before now.  Wink
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: pwatson
Having looked into this a bit further it may not be difficult to achieve both requests, depending on what version of SMF this forum uses:

I'm fairly certain that this Forum is based on something like V1.1.14 or somewhere in that region.  The newer functionality you refer to I think came in with Version 2.0.  Several years back anyhow!  The big issue is the degree of customised integration between the various on-line bits of Plusnet - The member centre; the main site and blog; the Forums etc .  it's a pack of cards touch one component and it is very likely to have repercussions across the patch.
There also appears to be a current resource or skills shortage within Plusnet to tackle any of the more urgent problems that have been identified within a committed timeframe..
I'd love to see both of those options implemented to allow me to eliminate from my 'unread post' the crud that is now infesting the Forum and some of the other features in V2 should help the Mods considerably.
Will it happen soon?  I doubt it - but I'd just love to be proved wrong on this one  Cool
M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pwatson
Rising Star

I fear that you're spot on - It won't happen any time soon, if at all...
There are a couple of useful looking mods that were written for v1.x.x versions but I suspect that there will be a reluctance to try them in case the integration with the PN backend is broken
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=search;basic_search=ignore
pwatson
Rising Star

Quote from: RPMozley
No input from the mods, they must be ignoring this.  Cheesy

It seems that your words were prophetic...
An official comment from PN staff regarding the principle of 'ignore' would be nice, but I won't be holding my breath  Sad
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I am not ignoring it but I have no idea whether it is even feasible and more to the point - as a Mod I wouldn't be able to use it either  Sad