Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troublesome quote manipulation

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Troublesome quote manipulation

In my latest thread https://community.plus.net/t5/General-Chat/Specious-and-Precious-accuracy/m-p/1333425#U1333425 I had an awful time with the board's quotation system, and what is my text is confused with the quotation.

The system adopted by most other sites I am familiar with is much easier. Who feels as I do?Who can give guidance?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Troublesome quote manipulation

It is fairly straightforward but totally non intuitive

If you post a piece by copy and paste or typing then click on the Quote Button you get this

If you then press Enter (or carriage return) then the quote button again you get this

Taking your linked post and doing the above

Your order will be delivered today between 15:18-16:18 Your order will be delivered today by Steve, your DPD driver. Please ensure that someone is available to sign for your delivery.

Such wondrous accuracy really impresses me. Aware of it, was I unwise to decide bot to go out this morning in case the courier was working to other than UK time. Equally am I silly not to make an appointment that will necessitate my leaving at 16:19. Of course I am assuming that Steve is actually a human, (though why I want to know his nameUndecided), so making possible deliveries at wrong times, places and so on.

The alternative is Steve is humanoid piloting a drone!

Why on earth do companies come up with such rot?

Of course where the pasted in text includes a carriage return such as below

Your order will be delivered today between 15:18-16:18 Your order will be delivered today by Steve, your DPD driver.

Please ensure that someone is available to sign for your delivery. Such wondrous accuracy really impresses me.

Aware of it, was I unwise to decide bot to go out this morning in case the courier was working to other than UK time. Equally am I silly not to make an appointment that will necessitate my leaving at 16:19. Of course I am assuming that Steve is actually a human, (though why I want to know his name), so making possible deliveries at wrong times, places and so on.

Then you can click on the quote button when the cursor is at the end of the sentence

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The one we have here isn't that difficult once one realises that the 66 (blockquote) menu button acts like the four to its left, first toggling quote marks on at the start of the current line (or highlighted block), then toggling quote marks off, again at the start of the current line.

To quote this I clicked it on (and the button shows a very light grey background. If I click to turn it off again the marking will disappear from the present line - which is not what I want. So I press newline/enter

which initially extended the marking. Now I click 66 again to turn marking off; it duly disappears so this is now a normal paragraph.

You could try this out by editing your linked post. Smiley

Edit: @Oldjim beat me to it.

David
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Thanks both. I'll give editing my post a whirl,but ATM I'm trying to set up the new MFD.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You may also find this post helpful.