Did you mean: 

Topic not going to last post today?

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: Topic not going to last post today?

@Anotherone wrote:

In terms of inconsistency, taking this thread for example, when I hover over the post title the link given is 

https://community.plus.net/t5/Community-Site-Feedback/Topic-not-going-to-last-post-today/td-p/1329103/jump-to/first-unread-message

but when I click it goes to the first post - that whether I do a left click or even a right click and Open in New tab.

If you click the thread link in the board and there is unread replies, you should be taken to the first unread reply. If there are no unread replies, you will be taken to the start of the thread.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Yes of course there were, I specifically picked threads/topics that I'd read before and had several posts since. The strange thing was that when I came back here after you and Strat had posted, it correctly went to your post. But previously we stated that the behaviour was intermittent. And I could have sworn that previously if all posts in a thread were read, it went to the last one, not the first.

Hmm, I've had a thought, but no red herrings until I've checked it out.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Just to add a bit of confusion - today it has worked as expected, though there is usually a delay of 1 3 seconds as it moves from the default(?) first post in the thread to the marked 'last read' post. 

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

I spoke too soon!  Visited the Mobile numbers and orders Topic in General chat (clicked on the link in General chat) and it takes me to the first post.  I have obviously read the thread as I posted as message 4.  Read the Topic and several others in the board then retried the Mobile Numbers thread - still goes to the first post (blue boxed).

Even stranger, navigated to this Topic to post an update only to find that this Topic now takes me too the first post whereas 15 minutes ago it worked as expected and took me to the last post!

I must be jinxed CrazyCrazy

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@MauriceC wrote:

Just to add a bit of confusion - today it has worked as expected, though there is usually a delay of 1 3 seconds as it moves from the default(?) first post in the thread to the marked 'last read' post. 

M

The delay is happening becuase after the page has loaded it then needs to scroll the the hashed reference of the message. If you look in the URL you will notice at the end there is the # then a numeric ID which is a reference to the message ID to scroll to.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@jaread83,

Exactly how is this implemented?  Is client side JS being used to scroll the page or is this being done by raw HTML <a> links? As in...

URL = http://www.example.com/some-page-or-other.html#exactline

And in some-page-or-other.html

...<a name="exactline">Linking Directly to a Specific Location</a>...

I fear a tendency in some environments to do things via JS (because that's the mind set) rather than use (or having forgotten) about some of the simple raw HTML stuff.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Using the name attribute harks back to the days of XHTML strict 4.0

This system uses data attributes mixed with JS to scroll to the element referenced in the hashed URL

<div data-message-id="1329931">

I can't say for sure how this system works exactly as I didn't build it. I just skinned it up with the theme.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Jack,

You delivered the answer I expected ... done by client side code ... which seems a waste of effort when one considers that HTML renders have the in-built capability to do this ... unless you are telling me its deprecated?

Yep, I think we all understand that the beauty of this place is only skin deep, under which there are dragons from another place! FunnyThumbs_Up

MauriceC
Resting Legend

I'm still seeing the original problem.  Today many Topics are not going to the last unread post.  E.g. This Topic which I have clearly read and interacted with on a number of occasions is now identifying the initial post as the first Unread Post (i.e.  It has a surrounding blue box).

Frustrating.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

From where did you get to the thread from? There are only a few places where this funcitonality is present. The panel contents do not do this. The panels that are related to posts specifically will take you directly to the post, the topics will take you to the topic.

If you were in the board view or in a dedicated page for topics/posts - were there any 'unread' posts in the thread? It will take you to the first post in the thread if not.

Do you have the option to jump to the first unread post enabled? This is the setting found here.

When you hovered over the link, does the url say '/jump-to/first-unread-message' in it? This is what the above setting will do and only applies to some parts of the site as described above.

Anotherone
Champion

@MauriceC @jaread83 unless i got it wrong here, there are only two places where 'Jump to the first unread post in a topic' will work. The Unread Topics module by clicking on the number of NEW posts, and on the Board listing clicking the title if you have 'Jump to the first unread post in a topic' set in settings.
I haven't checked whether it's working or not for me today, I will do so shortly.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

@jaread83 wrote:

From where did you get to the thread from?

From the board and clicking the Topic

@jaread83 wrote:
Do you have the option to jump to the first unread post enabled? This is the setting found here.

Since day 1!

If you were in the board view or in a dedicated page for topics/posts - were there any 'unread' posts in the thread? It will take you to the first post in the thread if not.

In some cases there were unread topics in others not!

When you hovered over the link, does the url say '/jump-to/first-unread-message' in it? This is what the above setting will do and only applies to some parts of the site as described above.

I've not checked yet, I'll check next time I try.

So if I've read @jaread83 correctly:

• If I read a thread of messages, then exit and before anyone else adds to the thread reselect the thread e.g. to reply / comment I will be taken to the first message.  Looks illogical to me.  It should at least be positioned a the last message I read?  And it does appear to work that way *sometimes*
  • If I read a thread then exit; then a new post is made before I reselect the thread. I will get to the first *new* post?

Maybe this is where the confusion is? 

I liked the SMF option to present the thread in reverse chronological order and had it set as my default preference.

M.

Anotherone
Champion

What I have noticed Maurice, is that if a Topic/thread has more than one page and is completely Unread, then if you only read the first page and leave, the Topic is still marked as Unread and if you click the Title again, it jumps to the top of the next page - which is logical.

However, if all pages & posts are read, I would expect it to go to the last post. I was fairly sure that's what it did before, but not now, it illogically goes to the first post.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

Logic and Lithium do not seem to have a partnership agreement.  Angel Evil

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I haven't explored the settings any further than the jump to last unread post but I don't think it has ever taken me to the last post in a thread unless I am looking at the 'latest posts' panel/page and clicked a post from there.