Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supposed to be permanently signed in

FIXED
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Supposed to be permanently signed in

It isn't working for me, as I have numerous times had to sign in. The box I ticked has become unticked.

Why is this happening, I would like to know, with advice how to solve the nuisance,☹️

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
16 REPLIES 16
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Supposed to be permanently signed in

I think its a cookie thing.

Perhaps you used a different computer - which causes it to be unset on the first computer....

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Luzern
Hero

@VileReynard I've only the one. but as it now seems to be happening on a different site it must be something like that.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

If I remember right, this was brought up back when we launched and I think we were told that it's also connected to the IP you're on. So you'd need to log back in if connecting from a different IP despite being on the same device.

EDIT: I'm assuming you're referring to the community forums?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from Plusnet Feedback to Community Site Feedback.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Luzern
Hero

@HarryB  Unless I am misunderstanding you, that would mean the majority, who don't have a fixed IP address will suffer.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Luzern 

I think that you only risk picking up a new IP address if the DSL link between the router and BT infrastructure drops for any reason.

You haven't got clear cookies on exit set on your browser or an Internet cleaner?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@Luzern wrote:

@HarryB  Unless I am misunderstanding you, that would mean the majority, who don't have a fixed IP address will suffer.

Just to confirm, are we both referring to the community forums here? As Anoush pointed out to me that theres a member centre tag on your initial post, which I missed when I responded regarding the community forums.

If we are both talking about the community forums, this isn't a choice we made, rather what Lithium advised us is by design.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Luzern
Hero

Fix

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@Luzern 

I think that you only risk picking up a new IP address if the DSL link between the router and BT infrastructure drops for any reason.

You haven't got clear cookies on exit set on your browser or an Internet cleaner?

If you mean something like CCleaner, that could be it. Thanks

Luzern
Hero

@HarryB  TBH I couldn't make out the label choices, and couldn't post without using one, so took a guess.

Sorry, it was the community (this).

Baldrick1

@Luzern 

The internet cleaner in Ccleaner would definitely do it.

Moderator and Customer

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@HarryB wrote:

If I remember right, this was brought up back when we launched and I think we were told that it's also connected to the IP you're on. So you'd need to log back in if connecting from a different IP despite being on the same device.

Just dropped the DSL and re-connected with a different IP address - still logged in to Community.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@HarryB wrote:
If I remember right, this was brought up back when we launched and I think we were told 

@198kHz I've just done a bit of searching through some old posts and it looks like I had in fact, not remembered correctly.

This may have been what I was remembering, which wasn't even an official response from Lithium.

Apologies for any confusion I caused with the previous post(s).

What @Baldrick1 said regarding cookies sounds more likely to be the correct answer.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@HarryB

I do not think it is your posts which are confusing, but the system sure is.

I use the forum from home on both phone and laptop connected over WiFi with keep me signed in set.

The laptop (Edge) NEVER requires logging in even between reboots (no cookie cleaning).

The phone (Safari) requires logging in again at least once each 24 hours and always if I change to mobile data. The latter I can accept could be related to a change in IP address ... but such seems to be refuted by the report I a lost above.

This could be browser specific behaviour ... nothing odd around this product surprises me any more - they seem incapable of delivering anything to a professional standard - especially change control.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1

It certainly can be browser specific. Firefox on my PC always resets the 'keep me signed in' flag. That's because it's set to clear all cookies on exit. My Ipad never resets it unless the 'clear cookies and history' function is used, when the flag is reset.

This convinces me that this function is controlled by a cookie. Keep the cookie and all is well, delete it and you have to save the 'keep me signed in' cookie again.

Moderator and Customer