cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion for update to Forum menu options banner.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Suggestion for update to Forum menu options banner.

Hi,
Before posting this I did a quick search and did not find anything relating to this, so if it has been suggested before apologies for wasting the time.
Can I suggest what I think would be useful and that is the addition of an 'UNREAD POSTS [23] count similar to that of the 'MY MESSAGES ' or have the 'UNREAD POSTS' page automatically refresh, which ever is the cheapest!
Just a thought.
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Suggestion for update to Forum menu options banner.

I can't see the unread posts number being a great deal of help as the unread posts list only shows the first unread post in a thread not all of them
Regarding the automatic refresh - do you mean that the unread posts page automatically refreshes when a new post is made or that it automatically refreshes when you go back to it - it already does this
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fair comment on the number of unread posts. As far as the automatic refresh is concerned I mean that when you land on the page it automatically refreshes on a predefined interval.
Of course if I had stopped and given this a bit more though I probably would not have posted this. I suggested this (auto refresh) as I go to the unread posts then open a new tab to read the post, then close the tab. So on my return to the unread posts page the post I've just viewed would have gone and any new ones would have appeared. But of course not every one does this.
It's OK, I'll just leave now.  Embarrassed
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Doing it that way - it doesn't refresh
I don't open a new tab I just go to the unread post then use the back button to go back which does refresh
I wonder how many do it it your way
Of course using Firefox you can install an addon which will auto refresh a tab or tabs
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've just checked and I have 14523 topics with unread posts at present - I'm not sure how knowing that is in any way helpful!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Oldjim
then use the back button to go back which does refresh

The back button doesn't refresh on any of the browsers I use, it takes me to the unread posts list exactly as it was before I viewed the post I just viewed (with that post still sowing on the unread list).  To get back to a refreshed list I click 'unread posts' each time (bit of a nuisance having to scroll to the top of long threads but otherwise no problem) or I hit back then manually refresh the browser page.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doing it that way - it doesn't refresh

My point exactly
I don't open a new tab I just go to the unread post then use the back button to go back which does refresh

Not on my browser it doesn't
I wonder how many do it it your way

Now that I don't know.
Of course using Firefox you can install an addon which will auto refresh a tab or tabs

Not a fan of addons so will continue the way I am.
jelv - No, I agree hence the 'Fair comment...' in my reply.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: w23
To get back to a refreshed list I click 'unread posts' each time (bit of a nuisance having to scroll to the top of long threads but otherwise no problem) or I hit back then manually refresh the browser page.

What's the problem with just hitting back (the key under F11/F12) & F5 to refresh the page?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I remember now
In Firefox I disabled cache in memory and disk which fixed it
w23
Pro

Quote from: jelv
What's the problem with just hitting back (the key under F11/F12) & F5 to refresh the page?

There doesn't seem to be an 'F5' on either my tablet or my phone.
On my PC (in the office) the 'F5' key is 'all the way over there'!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Using https instead of http, hitting the back button should refresh the page automatically.
That's RPM to you!!
w23
Pro

Nope.  Just tried that (Windows 7 64bit, Chrome Browser).
Call me 'w23'
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

From what I read, everyone marking all threads as read, rather than having thousands of unread threads they're never going to read, would be a performance enhancement.
And I certainly don't like web pages that sit there constantly refreshing themselves, it's just a waste of resources if you leave a page open.