cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitting the Atom - well, not quite .... but..

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Splitting the Atom - well, not quite .... but..

now I have your attention.. ! ! !.. 

What do the "Grumpy Old Gits"  ( those who don`t like "change for change sake"  under the guise of "improvement") think of the conglomeration of the amalgamated three boards   Windows Software     Linux  Software    and   Tech stuff

....  Do you feel this has been a retro move that has helped to make the forum less customer orientated ?  or do you think that having all that stuff jumbled up is a good idea..

From time to time, Newspapers try to re-invent themselves in the name of "progress" or "improved"  but they still keep to the same basic layout...  News stories on the front page... gossip, cookery, fashion, finance etc., inside, with a letters page, and the sport is always on the back couple of pages... so that the readers can quickly find the articles or "news" they WANT TO READ without having to trawl through the rest of the paper.. 

e.g   Sports fans... they know where to find the results,... and quite a lot of them don`t even bother with the front page..

News fans... again... many don`t even bother with the sports pages..  and those who write/read the letters pages , do so for entertainment.  

Imagine your favourite paper doing what Plusnet has done... mixed it all together... so that sports fans have to trawl through all the news and letters and cooking and fashion and fiancial reports before eventually "coming across by accident" their home team footy results ......and then trying to find a report on some other game, that would be hidden amongst all the other comment, cookery, finance and news, etc..

Even the Daily Mail, isn`t that daft..   

By amalgamating the three boards into one... ( a pathetic reason given somewhere else, was that, there were not enough posts in the other two to warrant them being a separate board)...  

aw c`mon... they were separate before this new forum,  and worked well, to everyone`s advantage...

to quote an old saying... " If it ain`t broke..... don`t fix it" ..   

Bring back the three separate boards.. and let us all enjoy our own Forum boards  ..  Windows, Linux, or Techy stuff,  without swimming around in treacle to find stuff..

21 REPLIES 21
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Splitting the Atom - well, not quite .... but..

As a Grumpy old Git i agree Thumbs_Up  better off split up

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Request was already made here shutter, your memory is getting bad Tongue

shutter
Community Veteran

Yeah... that was 3 weeks ago... and I have slept a lot since then... seems that most of the forum has gone to sleep too, perhaps they got too tired of "swimming in treacle"..  so I thought I might recharge the subject a bit more. 

Need to keep on top of these things, otherwise they will drift off and "Become the norm".. as they will be put on the back burner by the "committee"... hoping it will go away, quietly, so they don`t actually have to do anything about it, under the guise of " We will have to see how it goes, and maybe will do something later"..

when later comes...

it is Too Late !...

NOTE.  ! . it isn`t even mentioned on Louisa`s  "to do" list at the head of this board...   that is how "low priority" it has become..  

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@Anotherone wrote:

Request was already made here shutter, your memory is getting bad Tongue

The sad bit is that many of these 'observations' that have been reported over the past few weeks seem to have slipped off the radar and therefore have no focus.  Maybe next week we'll see the promised land  list. Funny

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

according to  PN      it going to be 6 months via fortnightly updates to get away from the BETA forum , and thats just for the known bugs , wonder what anotherone will find before its fixed .

Just to say as i havent heard for a while , is the notification for new posts going to change , as the highlighted text is easily missed , can we add a star or something to a Smartie when a new post is made ?

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If you take a look at the lists you'll find a blob has already been added alongside topic titles to identify those containing an unread post.

David
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Do you mean the black Full stop?Huh

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I guess so since black is the new red. Angel

David
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

WOW i cant belive someone thought that idea of adding a BLACK / RED full stop would be OBVIOUS to all , that it signified a new post Crazy3

Has no one thought of using the word NEW ! as they did on old forum

Anotherone
Champion

Just a minor point though, the word NEW takes up more room than a blob Wink The idea being that you want to give the title/date etc as much space as possible, yet give a clear visible indication, especially to those with visual impairment, that it's Unread. It's also important that it's usable and clearly visible on a mobile phone without having to zoom or scroll a mile.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I prefer the blob - much more obvious than the subtle colour change of the title in Plusnet 'burple'.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran

All of which is getting away from the original "Grumpy Old Git" post about splitting up the abominational conglomeration of the three old boards..  Windows Software       Linux        and  Technical

However... the light came on last night, just before I was going to sleep.... NO.. Not literally,   a sort of "eureka" moment .....I suddently thought that this will never happen, for a very simple reason... and it is usually the simple reasons that get overlooked in the planning stages, but become more and more important as reasons for "NOT" changing anything after the change has been implemented.

@jaread83    @LouisaMartin   @PlusnetLiaml   and others, who "know" about these things, will put out messages about planned changes "In the future" , on regular monthly notices of intentions, and omit the splitting of the boards, ( as an oversight or something ).implying that we  have more important things to do before we get around to that one, etc, and will not be rushing to do any board splitting...

because, the longer they can leave it as it is, they can claim two things...

the first of which will be something like... "  The new board seems to be working alright as it is,   so why change it"..overlooking the fact that the customers are the one`s who are struggling to use it,  ( not them ).. as best they can,.not because they like it..

If you have two pairs of shoes, one with a hole in, and the other in usable condition, you have a choice, when it rains... you can change your shoes, or put up with the one`s with holes in...  Unfortunately, it looks like we are going to have to use the one`s with the hole in

and the other one that will come a few weeks later will be something like 

" Well, it`s too late to do anything about it now, because we haven`t got the time/manpower/willpower to go and sort through all those threads and re-direct them to the three old board titiles again...

Imagine cutting out all the news items in a newsaper, and all the financial, and letters and other reports, including all the sports reports, ..... all in pieces, in a large box... it will be difficult to find the piece of news or sports report that you want from all that mess,....so you won`t bother... and the same goes for the perpetrators of this crime,   they will decided it is too difficult to sort them all out into the proper recoginised groups, and use every excuse to not do it.

so you will have to like it and lump it."

Of course...  as with everything else....  I could be wrong....    But I doubt it... Sad

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

@bobpullen, can you suggest a way of splitting up this board as described by @shutter above re the windows software, linux and hardware boards? I understand that you're probably the best person to make this call for the forum structure and I am all for getting this updated if possible.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Anotherone
Champion

Just to be clear, it's not just as described by @shutter it's as it was on SMF, 3 boards Wink