Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam / Phishing !!

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Spam / Phishing !!

Banned so no more you say? I've had several of these with the last one being an hour ago. Not complaining, just saying.

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

It looks like permissions are based on roles (members, admins, mods, veterans) rather than rank.

I will be applying the captcha to all normal members and will display the captcha after two messages are sent within a minute. There are some other configurations I need to go through so I will update you all when this has been done.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

chuffchuff
Rising Star

Totally agree!

Separately, is there anything else that was included in the change over to the new forum that could allow the unwanted to irritate?

Forewarned is forearmed.

I am actually quite shocked to have received a spam message via a forum that I had (hitherto) held in good regard.

Disappointing, to say the least!

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Well done jaread83, and reasonably quick off the mark as well.

Personally I would have no problem with a Captcha in use for all members. I would suggest though that members check their email first before logging on to PN, that was my first view of this one.

The one place I haven't deleted it yet is from my PM folder, I agree with Infinity there doesn't seem to be a way to delete a single PM. And if there was, how effective is PN's deletion security.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Minivanman
Legend

I can quite honestly say that this is the first forum where I have received spam as a private message. Just lucky maybe?

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

In sympathy with minivanman's last post.

Would it be reasonable to suppose that this could happen because of a disgruntled ex-member, or is that a conspiracy too far.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

We have a pretty solid spam filter system in place that learns what is considered spam and legit content. Whenever we mark a post as spam or release a legit post from the spam folder the system learns from that. At first it picked up very obvious spam but now it picks up stuff that is trying to look like a proper post but it got blocked. I check the spam filter at least 3 times a day to make sure legitimate posts are released.

If you spot any suspicious activity, feel free to report it and the mods here will swiftly come down on them with the ban hammer of justice. We check things like the IP address and the country of origin, email address used and the content they posted so the mods will issue bans based on what they find on those parameters.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

as an aside, if you delete a PM it is gone forever and not placed in thread storage or stored anywhere at all.

One way to delete messages quickly would be to open it up and click the delete button from within the message. After the confirmation page it will take you to the next message. Just hit delete again if you got a bunch to delete one after the other.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@petlew wrote:

Would it be reasonable to suppose that this could happen because of a disgruntled ex-member, or is that a conspiracy too far.

There is nothing to stop this happening but if it does, report it and mods will deal with those offenders quickly.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

because I opened the PM before reading this I sent a PM to a mod - perhaps having banned her the mods can also remove the salacious image from her image library

As an aside - what on earth was the point of all the coloured text and spaces etc, in the opening post

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The avatar was changed by mods pretty quickly. I didn't get a chance to see it...

Not sure why the OP felt the need to colourise their post. Normal text would have sufficed.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Infinity's phishing thread

@Anonymous wrote:

I got two of these this morning

Me too. Thought I'd got lucky for a moment lol.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Legend

Indeed that coloured text was a puzzle. Boredom perhaps? Smiley

Herman Melville
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@jaread83 wrote:

@HarryB, @MattyC and @Chris - what would you like me to do with this?

@jaread83 wrote:
It looks like permissions are based on roles (members, admins, mods, veterans) rather than rank.

I will be applying the captcha to all normal members and will display the captcha after two messages are sent within a minute. There are some other configurations I need to go through so I will update you all when this has been done.

@jaread83 Sorry, been a little busy today, sounds like you have it under control Thumbs_Up

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

i just got the following message on these forums ....

hello am Jenifer female single ,
please i have very important thing to share with you
reply me here for more details about me okay
reply me (su4222@hotmail.com )

forum name =  jenifer555

spam ?