Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signature size rule being relaxed?

TORPC
Grafter

Re: Signature size rule being relaxed?

In that case a 100px height image is between 6 & 7 lines deep
Also I do not see what the fuss is as there was no mention of the text in the original statement as it only referred to the height of the images
Quote from: Oldjim
Quote from: TORPC
Please feel free to review my Signature
Since you ask - how about reducing the height as required by the Forum Rule

It was then only mentioned to me in a PM & not in the open forum
Therefore I mentioned it & got told off
When
Quote from: Oldjim
@TORPC
You changed it after that adding the extra line and I would also suggest that you read the rules again
Specifically this one http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,218.0.html#post_personal

was stated even then I was not asked to remove the text from under the images
As I said I will await impartial advice on this, as it will be for the best all round, otherwise we will be going round in circles

dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Impartial: remove the text under the images or move it to the right.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
TORPC
Grafter

Thank you dvorak
@ least you have provided an alternate option in keeping the text rather than removing it all together
Is the images ok Height 100px x Width 245px otherwise
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: dvorak
Impartial: remove the text under the images or move it to the right.

You haven't commented on the total size of the images being over 50kB.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
TORPC
Grafter

@jelv how are you seeing the kb size ?Huh
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Firefox, right click the image and select View Image Info
Or right click and save the image and then go and look at it in the directory where it's saved.
TORPC
Grafter

Cheers jelv
That would be because they are scaled down from their original size That is the kb size after saving  & scaling them down in Microsoft Office Picture Manager
That said I will pull then & resize them accordingly tomorrow, when I am more awake & not so rattled, before re-uploading which should bring them inline with the file kb size rule
Looks like I may either have to change file format & or open P/S & choose the suitable for web option & see if it will lower the kb
If not
Have anyone any alternate ideas how to reduce the kb to keep inline with forum rules ?Huh
As you can see changed the pingtest 1 to a .gif & now it looks hideous, almost like pre 1995 16bit graphics @ 5.46kb
what is best for the eyes ?Huh
Devonian
Grafter

What difference does all this actually make?
TORPC
Grafter

Your guess is as good as mine tbh
My sig has been like it was for over 1 month & not 1 member or mod called it into question until now even though the same mod said it was ok on 08 January
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Could you not do something like the attached?
Devonian
Grafter

This all seems very... (dare I say) childish. Roll_eyes
Spider
Grafter

That really depends whether you believe the current forum rules serve a purpose. My own policy is don't break the rules, but change the rules. I personally find images in signatures annoying, and as people are still on slow connections I can understand why signature images need to be size limited, as well as ensuring the signatures don't take over from the posts.
So my thoughts are. Keep the current rules and enforce them when breaches are found. Change the rule to something different or remove the rule completely. Just don't have a rule and no enforcement of that rule as the rule then becomes harder to enforce at  a later date..
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Could you not do something like the attached?

No as that would be taking away vital information
I have now taken this further
Since I am a paying customer. I can freely use the forum (without being accused of being confrontational & going out of my way to create issue(s) )
I most certainly do not pay to be threatened to be banned over my signature which a mod clearly approved via PM back on January 08/2014, & then changes his tune in an open forum, which then nearly started confrontations between members albeit most of us are better than that.
If need be I will put all this in writing to the head chief of staff as it is not the 1st time any Mod(s) has been called into question
It started in a PM got sorted & approved
Then it started in a hijacked public forum
That said
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,218.0.html#post_arguments
Arguments
There is a fine line between discussion and argument which is at times hard to define. In general a discussion becomes an argument when the postings become personal and if this starts to become obvious then the Moderators will take necessary action which may include removal or locking of posts.

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,218.0.html#post_troll
Trolling
A troll is a person who posts inflammatory messages, to disrupt the discussion or to upset its participants. The word, or its derivative, "trolling", is also used to describe such messages or the act of posting them. This behaviour will not be tolerated.

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,218.0.html#post_attack
Personal attacks
These are usually caused by discussions turning into serious arguments as mentioned above. Please think before posting anything that would be defined as this sort of attack. For example "Username is an idiot" Personal attacks, including those in personal forum messages or emails, are not welcome on these forums and will be dealt with firmly. As the moderators do not have access to personal forum messages or emails any action would only be in response to a specific complaint by the recipient.

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,218.0.html#post_quote
Use of Quotes
Quotes can be a very useful way of making your reply to a post clearer by indicating which post or part of a post you are referring to.
However using them incorrectly can be annoying and make threads very hard to read.
The following rule applies to the use of quotes.
Only quote the full content of a post if :-
a) it is NOT the post immediately before your reply
b) You find that your reply has been forced onto a new page (then edit in the full quote if it's needed.)
In all cases you should think before quoting and wherever possible only use a part of the post you are replying to in order to make it clear which bit of a post your reply refers to.
The Moderators will remove unnecessary full quotes where they are posted immediately after the post being replied to.

Now then
Where is the rule about Hijacking a thread ?Huh
Does that not include the Moderators, which have to follow the same rules
picbits
Rising Star

I uploaded two resampled and anti-aliased copies of your images as .jpg files yesterday for you back one page if you prefer a decent quality image.
Both only around 10k each !
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Can you not 'screenshot' the original signature then resize the whole thing as a single image (same appearance but a bit smaller)?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.