Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signature size rule being relaxed?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Signature size rule being relaxed?

[quote=http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,218.0.html#post_avatar]Avatars and Signatures
The forum moderators reserve the right to ask any member to change their Avatar and/or Signature, should they feel that it is inappropriate, or does not comply with the following guidelines;
Avatar size should be limited to 80 x 80 pixels and a maximum file size of 40kB
Use of the Plusnet (Force9, Free-On-Line, Metronet) Logo as an Avatar is reserved for staff.
Signatures should use no more space than 5 lines of standard sized text would, this includes any blank lines and images you choose to use. Image based signatures should be limited to 100 x 560 pixels and a maximum total file size of 40kB.
The use of advertising links which confer a benefit to the poster are not acceptable.
The moderators reserve the right to modify or remove links in signatures or avatars where they consider that they are being used purely for the purpose of advertising a commercial operation
Is this rule being relaxed? I've seen and reported signatures where there is a 100 pixel deep image AND text underneath and they haven't been changed. 100 pixels is nearer 6 lines of text at standard font size so adding a text line under the images is definitely outside of this rule.
Edit: I wouldn't be against the rule being changed to 100 pixel and one line of text (at standard font size and no gap) OR up to 7 lines of text (the 600 characters is pretty limiting anyway). If we have a rule it should be adhered to.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
42 REPLIES 42
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Signature size rule being relaxed?

Cheers jelv for beating me to this
I was given the all clear by a mod that has now contradicted his own self (I still have a copy of the PM's if they are required)
Therefore I am also confused by this anomaly that needs to be cleared up
I will of course amend my signature in due course, if I am requested to by an impartial Moderator
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Until such time as the rule is changed I'd suggest you remove (or move) the "How can we help..." line.
You also need to remove one of the images.
The speedtest.net image is 31.67 kB and the pingtest.net 19.77kB so you are well over the maximum total file size of 40kB.
I actually started this topic as a result of seeing one of your posts in the Fed up with forums... topic - before I saw the discussion about your signature in the Daily Fail topic.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Aren't image dimensions usually given as width x height?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Good point! Perhaps the rule should be amended to explicitly state width and height.
TORPC
Grafter

@jelv
I understand & appreciate where you are coming from, however
I was given the height of 100px in a PM by a Mod
I would gladly amend the signature,
However as I am awaiting an impartial review, I will leave it as is for the review to take place.
Even though I have had a threat from a mod that he will remove it (after I asked for an impartial review)
Reasons being
1. It was authorised & given the all clear by a Mod on January 08
2. It has been over 1 Month since it was given the all clear & (yet not 1 member or mod has called it into question until now)
3. Mine is not the only signature like it
If I have to remove 1 of the images & text under the images, then so will a few other members
Therefore we need a definitive answer on this
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You have already had a definite answer
You need to remove the line of text underneath the images which wasn't there when I approved the change of moving the 3dB to the side of the images
Regarding the image sizes - I admit I hadn't spotted that one
To note
I asked you to move the 3dB text to the side on the 8th January and at that time there was no other text in the signature and you did that.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
You have already had a definite answer
<snip>
Regarding the image sizes - I admit I hadn't spotted that one
To note
I asked you to move the 3dB text to the side on the 8th January and at that time there was no other text in the signature and you did that.

Not by an impartial Mod we have not
You gave me the size of 100px for the height of the images
The text under the images was there at the time (perhaps you can not recall seeing it, it was in yellow at the time iirc or was it green as it has been all 3 colours & stuck with blue)
The images fall into the guidelines of actually being both 100px High x  245 Width
I was not aware of the maximum file size of 40kb (is that for each image or a combination of more than 1 image ??) as the guideline is not that transparent
You keep saying for me to remove the text under the images (however do not advise a way to keep the text) or propose to fix the signature to keep the images & text (instead you want to remove the whole signature)
Why remove the text (is it offending you or other person in any way shape or form) ??
Is there not a way I could keep the text rather than remove it (If so please advise the best way)
I would still prefer a second opinion on this whole subject as is seems that mine is not the only signature that can be called into question (therefore I can see some mods being busy in the near future checking signature(s) )
Therefore I do not want to be singled out when others are the same or similar
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: TORPC
I was not aware of the maximum file size of 40kb (is that for each image or a combination of more than 1 image ??) as the guideline is not that transparent

I quoted the forum rule in full in the opening post. What is not clear about
and a maximum total file size of 40kB.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

In case anyone is considering constructing a signature similar to mine here's the source:
jelv
Constructive posting
Why Traffic Management is needed
Plusnet URLs - quick ways to get where you want
Plusnet Community
Speed Wave

TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Quote from: TORPC

I quoted the forum rule in full in the opening post. What is not clear about
and a maximum total file size of 40kB.

I was not aware of it until it was brought to my attention (however if I mention the person that brought it to my attention, prior to your opening post , I might get banned)
Yes I have read your opening post word for word & it is copied & pasted from the link I was given
picbits
Rising Star

For reference, resizing them to 100 pixels high rather than using the code resize brings their size down to around 10k each as a .jpg
TORPC
Grafter

Again here is the source code of my signature

3db Profile How can we help others that are unwilling to help themselves

Where do any of them exceed the height & width rule ?Huh
avatastic
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
In case anyone is considering constructing a signature similar to mine ...

And here is mine, which isn't all that different.

F9 member since 4 Sep 1999<br />F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004<br /><br />DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.<br />Look at all the pretty graphs! (aka My Router Stats)
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Signatures should use no more space than 5 lines of standard sized text would, this includes any blank lines and images you choose to use. Image based signatures should be limited to 100 x 560 pixels and a maximum total file size of 40kB.

If your image is the full 100 height you cannot have lines of text above or below.
Your signature is between 7 and 8 lines deep:
3db Profile
How can we help others that are unwilling to help themselves
Line 1
Line 2
Line3
Line 4
Line 5
Line 6
Line 7
Line 8