Despite Plusnet trying to fix this broken ancient forum
Should PlusNet upgrade to a new forum ?Huh
124 REPLIES 124
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Should PN upgrade to a new forum ??

I have made a different suggestion
Archive a lot of old posts - it is 7 years since we had a general archive action and move the archive to a separate server not accessible by posters
This would drastically reduce the size of the forum and the associated database
I haven't had an answer but I believe the effect is being looked into
TORPC
Grafter

It may work,
however a fresh base wouldn't go a miss
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As I remember the last time the Forum was completely rejigged I really don't want to be around if it is moved to a new server(s) and up to date software
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Moving to a new forum will be no easy task.  Like OldJim, I was around and on the periphery of the new Community Forum site and to achieve the functionality and integration with the Member Centre and the main blog page was a massive effort.  As a result the current system is almost certainly befuddled by legacy integration issues between Wordpress and SMF.  Making changes risks bringing even greater problems into focus.
As a starter for 10 OldJim's proposal for an archive of many of the old posts now redundant boards and then a tidy-up on the tables should make a big improvement  ---- BUT.  There be dragons down in them dark tunnels.  Not a task to be tackled lightly or in haste.
Longer term a fresh look at the whole back office infrastructure needs to be carried out, but would a User Forum in its current format survive the financial review?
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Voted 'No' as there isn't a 'None of my business, it's completely up to PN' option...  Wink
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

'Undecided' is my vote.
Love the forums except for slowness and 'posing with attachment' issues.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

No one as cited the issues which need to be fixed to justify change.
Change consumes resources - money and time - which arguably if available should be spent on other more important matters - eg SSL for email.
If it ain't broken don't try fixing it seems an appropriate maxim here!
All databases need periodic maintenance - table tidying, index restructure etc... - one hopes this is implemented and performed on a regular basis?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Devonian
Grafter

I do think the forum is looking a little dated, and could do with being brought in to 2014, but if it took funds away from other projects, then I would rather it stay as it is.
I voted YES though.
TORPC
Grafter

Why oh!!! why.... do people think it will cost the earth ..........
There are latest versions of SMF that are Free even update(s)
There are also other free forum maker(s) available therefore the cost(s) can be kept to a minimum, towards the staff(s) wages
PN already have the server(s)
Research my friends research
We all know that PN are up against it whilst trying to sort the issues, that comes with such an old / modified forum base, with old standard(s) of coding, new browser rendering et al
However, that said
New standard(s) of coding are clearly here
Think of it as a long overdue spring clean