cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Security

mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

I see Huawei is in the news again today, and not in a good way. PN supplies routers from this company without worry - why? Security is an ever increasing issue but my suggestion to make it more visible as a topic for discussion doesn't seem to have been discussed by the powers that be here - I wonder why?

17 REPLIES 17
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 247

Which Plusnet routers are from Huawei?

John
mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

Take a look at the label on the bottom of the router - mine says 'made in China'. Now who is the major Chinese supplier of internet hardware to the UK? That's right, Huawei. I aslo see that BT are trying (quiety) to replace Huawei hardware in other parts of the UK network. Huawei have links to the Chinese PLA. There are good reasons for the US to ban them as telecomm equipment suppliers, and we should perhaps follow suit.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 247

OK - made in China, as are probably 80% of the routers in use in the UK (and USA), but not necessarily by Huawei - unless you can prove otherwise?

John
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I thought the BT Home Hub 5A, on which the Plusnet Hub One is based, was designed by Sagemcom. Manufactured by Askey according to wikidevi.com.

mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

More issues on WIFI security:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/02/27/wifi_chip_bug_eset/

We need that Security forum!

mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@mechanic123 wrote:

I see Huawei is in the news again today, and not in a good way. PN supplies routers from this company without worry...

No, we don't.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been split from another thread and moved to chat as it doesn’t have any relevance to PN

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Never a good idea to rely on dodgy regimes for your infrastructure, especially in areas like your telecoms.  We need to be self reliant in strategic stuff like electronics and metals.  Western governments have taken the lazy option for too long, as have western companies gaily setting up companies and transferring technology to what is basically a one party communist state who do not know the meaning of democracy. 

The whole world will be reviewing their relationship with China in aftermath of virus... and not before time.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Profit is king and if China sells us a router at 75% less than a UK company can design and manufacture, who is going to get the order.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Community Site Feedback to Everything Else.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

It's a cycle isn't it? When I was younger, everything was built in Taiwan, then built in Hong Kong, then Malaysia, Singapore (orders may be wrong, but you get the idea). Business goes where the price is right and the profit margin is even better. China at the moment is the manufacturer equivalent of the call centres in India, everything outsourced because we can't be competitive at home. China will price itself out of the market in the future as the standard of living rises, then another will take its place.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Sure we had Japan, Taiwan, south Korea, Singapore etc as cheap Labour economies, but China is a different kettle of catfish and are a communist state who have world domination as a goal, and are not above using proxies to cause problems for their 'enemy' ( and largest customer ) the USA...  the west never created a monster with Taiwan, south Korea, Singapore etc but China is different.