Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regularly being logged out of Forum again

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Regularly being logged out of Forum again

There seems to have been a reoccurrence of the issue whereby I find myself logged out of the Forum every few days, at least with Firefox in both Windows and Android. Last time it was established to be a cookie problem, which I thought had been resolved. I do tick the 'Leave me logged in' box, but it seems to be having no effect.

9 REPLIES 9
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Regularly being logged out of Forum again

Also happening to me over the last two days.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

+1

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

I will have a look into this over the weekend and see if any of the settings have changed at all. Luckily I got my work laptop with me so can run some checks to inspect the cookie. Will let you know what I find!

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi everyone,

I did a bit of digging around and the only thing I can see that is wrong is the auto signin cookie will expire after 60 days (this is the maximum I can set it to). In the settings, I can set the expiry to 0 but what this does is the cookie will expire after the session ends (you close your browser). According to the software help files, setting the expiry to 0 should make the cookie to never expire but it is doing the complete opposite.

I remember trying this out a while ago and then finding out that everyone was constantly being logged out so I had to just change the settings back to the maximum values the system would allow.

I have sent an email to Lithium support to take a look into this as the setting doesn't 'do what it says on the tin' which frustrates me greatly. I expect to get this fixed asap, sorry for the delay in looking at this over the weekend, I had a few family things that took priority so I apologize for that.

Will reply here when I get any information. I have requested Lithium to set the cookie to never expire.. I can't imagine that this would be a big task to do on their end so we shall see what happens.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Unfortunately Lithium Dont Do FAST Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro

jaread83, I'm being logged out after far less than 60 days - more like 3! Looks as if that cookie setting doesn't work properly either!

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Lithium engineers are looking into this and will update me when they have fixed the issue.

@NorthPole - could I ask for you to inspect the cookie for the login information after signing out and then signing in with the 'auto sign in' enabled?

This is mine - the cookie will expire in January so its setting the 60 days correctly:

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 11.34.15.png

It is also worth noting that if you leave the community open in your browser and do not interact with the site, it will sign you out automatically. The value for this is currently set to be 200 minutes (the maximum) and is a security feature of the forums (I'd personally disable this entirely but that can't be done).

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro

jaread83 - attached. Looks pretty much the same as yours, i.e. a 60-day expiry time.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks @NorthPole, appreciate it.

I have sent the data over to Lithium to aid their investigation. Hopefully I can get them to fix the cookie so it should never expire.