Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refresh of page wipes out your typing when replying

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

Refresh of page wipes out your typing when replying

I've noticed this ALMOST every time I reply to a post in a thread recently:

The window appears for me to type my reply in and I start, but after a few seconds the page tries to reload, warning pop-ups appear saying it will reload and whatever you do it reloads after a few more seconds and everything you type disappears. You can't "grab" it to copy then and paste later.

It seems OK on starting a new thread, such as I'm doing now.

Windows 11, Edge browser, all totally up to date. No easy or meaningful way of taking a relevant screen shot.

I've sort of got used to clicking reply then waiting for a minute or so for it to sort itself out. But sometimes I forget. 😠

23 REPLIES 23
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Refresh of page wipes out your typing when replying

It seems intermittent and has been happening for a long time.

I find it more prominent on my iPhone (Safari) than the laptop (MS Edge).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't had my text wiped out as described by @HPsauce 

but I'm frequently seeing a different issue (that 'feels' related) when starting to type a reply -

If I hit <Reply>, the expected text box opens, if I do nothing the blank box just sits there waiting for input.

Once I start typing AND before I can complete the first sentence, I'm frequently interrupted with this pop-up -

Stay on page.jpg

and typically much of what I thought I'd just typed is missing because the browser cursor 'focus' had moved from the text entry box to the pop-up - while I was looking at the keyboard because I don't touch type.

At this point I HAVEN'T accidentally clicked on <Cancel> or any other wrong key that might cause that pop-up to appear !

If I now click on <Stay on Page>,  then I can return to typing, and the interruption doesn't reoccur for the current reply.

This happens so often that it is getting really annoying !

Using - Firefox 113.0.2 on Ubuntu 18.04 - both fully up to date, and the browser has no plug-ins or add-ons.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

Are those experiencing this inadvertently catching the 'back' button - I know I can do it at times (on my mouse).

John
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

Definitely no back button involved; I'm invariably typing (lowercase letters) when it happens.

Anonymous
Not applicable

For me, I'm simply typing the opening words to my reply, and not touching the mouse

jab1
Legend

Fair enough, @HPsauce , @Anonymous     but it certainly never happens to me spontaneously - FF122.0.1 on Zorin 16.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me this only started perhaps two or three weeks ago, and never previously.

Mav
Fixes: 516

My memory may be playing tricks on me but didn't there used to be a button to get what was saved in a buffer after the page was refreshed?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

jab1
Legend

Might be your memory, @Mav , although my machine does an autosave every 2/3 minutes.

John
Mav

Thanks, @jab1,  for confirming I am gradually going crazy😂

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mav  - it's funny you mention that, because I'd noticed a little while back that in my profile area, there is a "Drafts" area, where I used to be able to continue editing a post reply that had been interrupted, but now all I can do with those 'Drafts' is <Discard> them -

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 18-02-25 PlanetX.png

jab1
Legend

Long time since I've used that facility, but if you click on the actual 'draft' does it not open in the reply box?

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not recently,  it used to !

The only thing that works is <Discard>

Mav

@jab1 and @Anonymous 

Just been looking at that and it will open the so-called draft but it appears to be the 'final' draft that was posted so, in a word, pointless.

@Anonymous 

Maybe it's that functionality that I am remembering. Haven't tried to access it in years so don't know when it changed.