Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read messages appearing as unread!

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Read messages appearing as unread!

Whilst it is interesting and informative to discover what was known on the staging platform, we are now some six weeks into the *live* product?  It should be a simple exercise to review the change control log to identify where / why / when any significant changes were made. 

I really like and support the new notification system and the navigation assistance given by the 'Unread posts count' link at various places in the Forum and the option to 'go to the last unread post' - but it is so unreliable and inconsistent in its operation that I don't rely on it. 

E.g.  yesterday I interacted with this board "Community Site Feedback" and cleared all the unread posts and made a reply to one Topic.  Going back to Forum level I could see an unread count of 1 but nothing in the Notification area. Going back into the board I discovered that the only unread message was my last post?  Illogical?

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Undoubtedly there is more than one problem Maurice, not the least significant being that now this has gone live, it's quite obvious that the resources are just not available to pursue these things in a timely manner.

From what I recall of being told about the "history" of the Notification Feed, it was a bit of a "bolt on job" and as I've mentioned before, because it's obviously not fully integrated into the product, you can read a post/thread from a link elsewhere and yet it still can show as unread in notifications, although Jack's little fix relying on browser history to mark things read in the Notification Feed, for some reason, I'm not sure, this doesn't always seem to work.

None of this is helped by the fact that the way the Notification Feed works has been changed and even considering @spraxyt's comment (where the Toaster pop-up Notification helps), you can now miss posts made earlier as I did recently. The Notification feed now takes you to the Last Unread post and in my case that happened to be on a new page and there were posts on the previous page that I didn't discover until laterAngry

The whole thing just seems cobbled together. Whilst I can see that this sort of thing has come about as a result of trying to provide additional functionality, it also seems that since it's original introduction some time ago (long before Plusnet looked at this solution) I get the impression that Lithium have just sat on their laurels and not attempted to integrate things properly.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@MauriceC wrote:

It should be a simple exercise to review the change control log to identify where / why / when any significant changes were made. 

What change control log would that be?  I think @jaread83 has already been quite open and honest "we have no control over what lithium do..."!

We have yet to receive a response to the question raised in another place about version identification and confirmation of adherence to the process @LouisaMartin affirmed herein earlier this week.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Tags (1)
Anotherone
Champion

Re your last point, the adherence has obviously not happened, so I doubt that we will ever see any confirmation!

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Anotherone

Just had an unread post reappear here https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/People-always-tell-you-about-a-bad-service-but-rarely... as new.

The post was dated ‎26-05-2016 9:55 PM and read it yesterday. Doesn't look like the thread was moved either.

Found the post from clicking the button "Unread Topics" and then selecting from there.

Edit: to add path used to get to thread

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
SpendLessTime
Hero

Another day, another thread marks itself as NEW, it's was started 2 days ago, read at the time including the 1st reply and now all the posts are NEW

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Hows-the-reliability-on-this-network-for-fibre/m-p/133...

Anotherone
Champion

I noticed a similar thing the other day with my Notification Feed which was strange. I logged out, closed the browser and restarted the machine and then when I came back everything was back to "normal". Most odd.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I posted in this topic after reading it's entirety today.

I then read the post after mine and left the thread.

Later today it appeared in my Unread Topics list.

On returning to the topic every single post was marked as New.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
SpendLessTime
Hero

And now this one https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/ftp-port-forwarding-on-d-link-DNS-320L/m-p/1340056#U1340056 has all the post in that thread marked NEW even though I had read the opening posts earlier and when I logged out I had zero unread posts, checked by the main Forum page https://community.plus.net/t5/Forum/ct-p/Forum

Getting really annoying now

Anotherone
Champion

I'm wondering if some of this is being caused by any tweaks that Lithium are applying. I can't tell if there's been any change in the revision number until they restart the forum which they are unlikely to do until the early hours.
Next time you see Read things appear Unread, try logging out, closing the browser, clearing caches and restarting and logging in. I'm curious to see if it makes any difference for you as it did me on one occasion.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Most of the time i just ignore the read , unread post count as it never works Roll_eyes

i have just read Anotherones reply to ranking system thread , came here to read and low and behold ,, reply still shows as unread .

Shut browser down come back and its STILL showing unread !! read post again moved threads returned still marked unread Huh

Update cleared cache ,, came back and ooops  shows 13 posts unread ?Huh

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anotherone wrote:

Jack's little fix relying on browser history to mark things read in the Notification Feed, for some reason, I'm not sure, this doesn't always seem to work.

WTF !  You can't do that ! - no wonder it doesn't work properly !  Shocked

• Many people disable browsing history, for privacy reasons.
  • I access this forum on about many different devices, so there is no common browsing history.
  • Accessing the forum in browser 'incognito' mode will break the notification history.
  • User may clear their browser cache (for other reasons) and lose their forum 'read' history.

@jaread83  is this true ? - because that is a shockingly bad solution if it is !   Crazy

Anotherone
Champion

Why do you have to go so over the top with some of your responses? Roll_eyes

Of course it's not a perfect solution and I totally disagree with you about the "MANY" people disabling browsing history and of course it doesn't work across different devices (unless you sync). We know all about that.

So you'd prefer that no tarting-up was done would you, and that we can't use Jack's little trick to give us some semblance of what we've read from the notification feed.?
So you are going to get Lithium to re-write the code in 5 minutes and integrate what they created some considerable while ago (as a bit of a bolt on job) properly into the product are you? Of course not Crazy3

Well I for one don't agree with you about Jack's tweak, I'd rather that than nothing. Don't get me wrong, Lithium should do the job properly but I'm not expecting a solution tomorrow (unfortunately).
I'd also appreciate it (as I'm sure others would) if you were somewhat kinder to Jack, if it weren't for much of his effort tarting up this pig's ear then you'd really have something to moan about Lips_are_sealed

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anotherone - I think that @Anonymous is looking at this as a point of principle, there is a, and AFAIK, an acknowledged issue with the way threads are marked / maintained as read, an issue that should be addressed by the vendor of the software. I agree some users might find the proposed, albeit temporary offering useful, but this is ultimately an issue that needs resolving by Lithium and should not be reliant on the customer.

What do you mean about re-writing the software and it's integration? Surely these forums run on a framework that is used across all instances such as BT, PlusNet, etc? So are there similar issues posted elsewhere?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Strat i had that also a few days ago  Shocked

https://community.plus.net/t5/Community-Site-Feedback/Whats-happend-today/td-p/1339081

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .