cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read messages appearing as unread!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Read messages appearing as unread!

There's a message on this board from @MauriceC regarding an Accessibility anomaly, that I know I have marked as read but it has just re-appeared as a new message, what gives?

71 REPLIES 71
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Read messages appearing as unread!

I often find myself reading threads with a déjà vu feeling which turns out to be accurate.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, thanks @Strat I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Question - when you say the messages appear unread - how did you navigate to the post? Where are you seeing it "Unread" after?

The odd thing is that with Maurice's post, it's the only one in the thread, so that specific is mysterious.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I use this : https://community.plus.net/t5/forums/unreadpostspage/tab/message:full from my toolbar, as it's far easier than navigating around the forum, and it was the fact that it was Maurice's post that made it so noticeable because I knew I'd marked his and the others as read.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

I'm finding that most days when I log back in that a lot of the posts I read previously have returned to NEW. Today I've had 5 or 6 in topics to which I'm notified of changes.

These are not posts that have been edited as I use the absolute date/time option to see just that nor posts that are moved, but posts that were clearly read in a previous session.

My primary route to find posts is the Unread Topic button.

I always sign out my sessions too so that should not be an issue.

It is getting very annoying.Angry

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Sadly I now feel that I've wasted a lot of my time in bothering to report problems with this new software, nobody seems to be listening.   I'm off to join others on the sidelines until at least some of these significant BUGS are fixed.  Cry

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

Hi Maurice, well I'm listening and picking things up and I'm sure Jack is, but when it's a change to the core product, I don't know who knows what's what (we're having a "discussion" about it at present!). What I can tell you is there is a version upgrade coming shortly.

I'll post back here again shortly as I want to know some more detail of how/when etc you both encounter this issue.

Strat
Community Veteran

I occasionally encounter this same issue but couldn't give details of the lead up to the problem as I don't lay a mental trail of breadcrumbs.

I just start reading a thread flagged up in my 'Unread Topics' list and quickly realise I've read it before with only the last two or three posts being actually unread by me.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, so in your case Dick there are posts added to the thread that you haven't read.

Do you have Jump to first unread post in a topic ticked?

Strat
Community Veteran

Yes and Yes which usually works fine.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

From some of @jaread83's earlier input on similar topics (if I've interpreted them correctly Huh ) it seems that you can end up at a different point in a thread depending on how / where you access it from.  I've got no evidence, but I suspect that there is an occasional 'interaction' with the position in thread marker (wherever it is).  E.g. I have noted at least once in a thread I was following and successfully getting steered to the 'first unread' message over a number of visits,  revert to taking me to the first message in the thread.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

I noticed a while back, that if all the posts in a thread had been read, and you clicked on the Topic you then went to the first post. I don't recall that happening at the outset, I thought it went to the last one. To my way of thinking, that's where is should go, so that's one the press for.

I wonder if some of the incidents are caused by possible action either by mods or the Spam filter either of which might change the "status" of the thread. The other possibility is minor changes to the software version - obviously a major change will have some sort of effect, I suppose it will depend on what the fixes/changes were.

@Strat do you recall roughly when you last experienced this? I tried using the Unread Topics module earlier and clicking either the title or the number in the 'New' column worked correctly at the time.

@MauriceC @SpendLessTime same to you, and do you recall any specific circumstances/threads? I've certainly encountered some oddities that only happened on some threads Shocked

@Anonymous has been quiet for a while, but as he uses Unread Posts mainly, it may be different for him?

Strat
Community Veteran

It has happened today on one thread but I'm struggling to recall which one.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

I don't recall an incident this weekend - and any further back, who knows?  Smiley