cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with forum "Notification feed"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem with forum "Notification feed"

I hadn't spotted this problem with the "Notification feed" before.

It's Friday 3rd June, and my current "Notification feed" says -

Notification-feed.jpg

so the second entry says -

"jaread83 and Anotherone replied to topic New forum, why do so many pages have this warning ...    an hour ago"

which to me suggests that both @jaread83 and @Anotherone had replied to that topic about one hour ago.

WRONG !

@Anotherone hasn't been online since Wednesday i.e. TWO DAYS AGO !

Anotherone profile.jpg

So there is something clearly wrong with the "Notification feed" reporting - AGAIN.Ticked_off

You might also have spotted that I am now unable to "@" quote someone's name, it just won't work.

and the "Preview" has stopped working again.

What a bloody shambles. Angry  Knuppel

F.F.S. why the hell can't you get this poxy forum to work properly ?

13 REPLIES 13
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Problem with forum "Notification feed"

The Notification system will be a useful feature once they finish it!  At present it is not that useful.  I think you'll find that the message timing is based on the last person to reply (the left most entry), several others (n~) are named then a count.  I'd look up the User manual - but there isn't oneWink.

I've also had problems with the @ facility in the past few days.  prefers to find the characters in mid string before checking rather than matching from the front, it's also now appears to be case sensitive?

All part of the Lithium experience?Funny

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Lack of interest buy PN and lithium Sad

they want us to lie down and stop complaining , How long is it now since they posted a fix for anything ????

they cant even fix the double post bug when a post is sticky Ticked_off

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anonymous
Not applicable

But how can the entire notification interaction be so wrong in so many different ways ?

It looks like it was coded by someone who has no idea about structured software design.

Why can't Plusnet employ a qualified website design contractor to sort out this disaster,

and send the Plusnet employed staff to coding school to learn remedial software design ?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Not a lack of interest by any means. the Notification Feed is ONE of my pet topics. Just clarification for starters, the time refers to the last poster, not the 2nd or previous ones - I know - it's not clear, someone else mentioned it last week as well.
If you go to My Settings : Preferences >Display you can change your "Display dates as" to an absolute date if you'd rather that than "yesterday", "last week" etc.

Lithium have made changes to the Notification feed since our testing and also since live, none of which are in-line with what we wanted.
We used to get a notification for each and every post that was made - which was fine as far as I was concerned - you could see who had responded since you last looked. Also the link on each notification took you to that specific post. Now you only get the Notification for the last post with the last two posters named and the link goes to the last post which means you can miss previous posts especially if they are on a previous page.
Also the size of the list (the actually history) is limited, when I checked recently it was barely two weeks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not like all the notifications contain two entries, most of them just mention one person.

But when there has been an effort to show multiple respondents, then you would think the timing would be correctly reported,  or separated as a separate notification if the time difference was too great.

Anotherone
Champion

See the last part of my previous post - I'd clicked Post when I hadn't intended to, and have been "editing" to complete what I'd intended to post originally.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

The notification system displays the last few users who replied to your topic. It isn't indicating that two users replied at the very same time. The latest user to reply would be the first on the mini list and if there are more who replied, the last one is shown in the list. There is no issue here with what you are describing.

Edit: Maybe a better explanation of this would be this...

User A replies to a topic you are subscribed to. You get a notification feed item that says 'A replied to your topic'. Now user B replies to the same topic, the last notification feed item is updated to then say 'B and A replied to your topic'. This notification item is then moved up as  more recent reply has occured. Now, User C also replies to your topic, the notification item is then updated further to now say 'C, B and 1 other user has replied to your topic'. The timestamp is then updated again.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Anotherone
Champion

Anotherone wrote:
.......Now you only get the Notification for the last post with the last two posters named and the link goes to the last post which means you can miss previous posts especially if they are on a previous page.

Allowing for Jack's explanation above in my remark about only getting the Notification for the last post - it's this link going to the last post that is the problem Angry  I just missed some previous replies to a thread for that reason.
However many people have replied, the link should go to the First Unread post. I hope this has been raised to Lithium @jaread83 @LouisaMartin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anotherone wrote:

However many people have replied, the link should go to the First Unread post. I hope this has been raised to Lithium @jaread83 @LouisaMartin.

ABSOLUTELY !

I am fed up of replying to a topic, only to discover that I had unexpectedly missed a load of intermediate replies, and as a consequence my reply then appears to be out of context, simply because the link I'd followed had NOT taken me to the first unread reply. Angry

Anotherone
Champion

You know about the Setting on this page which should work if clicking links from anywhere else other than the Notification feed? - Note I said should Roll_eyes (does for me - usually).

Anonymous
Not applicable

So why isn't that set by default ?

Anotherone
Champion

Without it set, you would normally go to the first post of a Topic, or the top of a page of a topic if clicking the page number - I suppose some people would want to re-read all the previous posts (and there are some who certainly should read the previous posts before posting).

Anonymous
Not applicable

It would be daft to jump to the first post of a topic by default, rather than first unread !.

because visiting a topic that hadn't been previously read, would by definition go to the first post.

Crazy