Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Posting CS agents' names

geewizz
Grafter

Re: Posting CS agents' names

Quote from: jelv

There is no point in having rules (or laws) if they are not enforced. The one thing that is guaranteed in both the laws of this land and the rules of these forums is that there is no interference if someone abides by the rules or laws.

Does that same thinking apply to the laws of Zimbabwe or the Third Reich? Is it right to abide by rules without question? Are all rules correct and unchangeable?
These are rhetorical questions which I have posted for the sole purpose of restoring a bit of perspective to the thread.
techguy
Grafter

What is it exactly that you would prefer to happen geewizz, do you want the rule repealed?
Ianwild
Grafter

There are also security based reasons for this that haven't been mentioned. While not a solution to a particular problem, we are duty bound to operate policies that protect employee information as far as possible. Many people don't mind their name or employment being in the public domain, but some (occasionally for very good reasons) would rather not have their full name posted in public.
As has been said, our internal system provides complete accountability as to who spoke to which customer when, so it's not like we need names to be posted here to deal with a problem. I can appreciate it's a bit of a pain, but all told the policy doesn't present any problems I'm aware of?
Ian
Ianwild
Grafter

PS - I don't see a problem with first names being used at all...
geewizz
Grafter

It's the most commonly broken rule on these forums. It's obviously not deliberate rule breaking, It tends to be first time posters and the rest of us just being forgetful.
If you read some of the responses to the editing by the mods you can see that people find the tone of the correction to be inappropriate. You can see a range of reactions from humble apologies to expressions of surprise. What you will never see (and might never consider) is the reaction of those who are put off from posting again or even revisiting the forums. I know that is a distinct possibility because it nearly happened to me.
I appreciate the security concerns you raised, Ian. Maybe those who have issues like that should not be putting their names on the tickets either? I mean, you only control the Plusnet community forum, not the internet at large so there's nothing to stop a customer quoting a ticket in full elsewhere.
For the record, I do see a problem. I don't have the solution.
Some of the responses in this thread seem to allude to me having some sort of personal agenda. All I intended to do was voice my concerns about what I percieve to be a problem and to discuss it. I started the discussion with a simple question to establish if there was a valid reason for the rule that I was unaware of. From there I tried to illustrate the problem I could see.
It isn't me who gets my posts edited for the upholding of this rule, it isn't my name that is being edited out of posts or being quoted and it isn't me who has to do the editing, so I have nothing personal to gain from any changes.
chillypenguin
Grafter

One other solution is to add the CSA name to the word censor, as the change is then made automatically, and does not leave behind the `edited by` tag or moderators note.
But this brings with other problems such as `Female dogs` issue.
James
Grafter

I think that just makes the problem worse Smiley
chillypenguin
Grafter

In the long run, yes at could cause all sorts of issues. Forum signatures for example would not work!!!