cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet - Please overhaul the swear filter?

Spider
Grafter

Re: Plusnet - Please overhaul the swear filter?

@God - you should know by now that everything you say will be taken in every conceivable way possible. Feelings will be so strong on the words that you said that they will fight anyone who dares to contradict them. On the other hand their are others who believe are the creation of the hysterical masses so will ignore anything you post as it is clearly fraud.  Wink Cheesy
Not applicable

Quote from: God
Yup, and lets be honest, It it probably only matter of pasting a list. I am sure those involved kept a list of liberated words?

The list is stored in SMF.
To get it into a document we would have to either copy and paste each word into a document, or type each one out.
Sure it wouldn't take a huge amount of time, but we do have other priorities in life. Wink
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

If you don't like censorship you could always post in Usenet Tongue

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

God
Grafter

Quote from: James_G
Yup, and lets be honest, It it probably only matter of pasting a list. I am sure those involved kept a list of liberated words?

The list is stored in SMF.
To get it into a document we would have to either copy and paste each word into a document, or type each one out.
Sure it wouldn't take a huge amount of time, but we do have other priorities in life. Wink

James, I understand there are other priorities but I would have to admit to being ‘mildly’ irritated that after three weeks no one has found the time to remove the word cr.ap from the filter despite you having found the time to add and then remove the word ‘mildly’ from the filter just for your amusement.
I did after all start the thread for this very purpose of having cr.ap removed, since then there have been discussions about how we might debate what words to remove (without result as far as I know) and the news that lots of (unspecified and presumably un-debated) words have now been removed, however cr.ap is still firmly censored. I would be very grateful if you could find the time to remove cr.ap, pretty please with a cherry on top?
James
Grafter

I personally opposed the removal of that word from the swear filter.
This is a family forum and I wouldn't want any of my young kids seeing that.
Not applicable

James, I understand there are other priorities but I would have to admit to being ‘mildly’ irritated that after three weeks no one has found the time to remove the word cr.ap from the filter despite you having found the time to add and then remove the word ‘mildly’ from the filter just for your amusement.

I suggest you re-read my post that you refer to - it does appear that you have the wrong end of the stick (or perhaps the wrong stick?)
God
Grafter

Ah, now at least I understand why it hasnt been removed, and that there has been some debate albeit only on the Plusnet / Mod side of things. Is there a plan to open the debate to Plusnet customers as well?
Cheers
Not applicable

Quote from: James_G
I don't mind a lot of PMs, so long as folks remember that it might take me a while to get through them all Wink
We are looking at progressing further with our re-arrangement of the forums (more news on this later) but a possibility that I'm thinking of is adding a hidden board for discussion of the word censor, which is accessible to anybody who wishes to join in the discussion, and accepts that there will be words which might be considered offensive therein.
So long as we have enough people to give some sort of a balanced view, it might work - does this sound sensible, and would some of you be prepared to give it a go?

The restructure of the boards is happening today.
After we've done that, we'll be in a position to take a look at it.
God
Grafter

Great, thanks for the update.
Heloman
Grafter

Over-zealous censoring.

In the General Chit Chat forum recently I used the proper word for a female dog, bitch. It was censored, and I'm sure it will be in this post, even though it had been used entirely correctly with no "double-entendre" .
Strangely others used the plural, bitches, which was not censored.
I'm totally against four-letter words. Even keep a swear-box (Ross-box?) in my home....
But isn't this going a bit far?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Over-zealous censoring.

Have a look at http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,68217.0.html
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Spider
Grafter

In light of this thread (http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,71091.0.html), any progress?
Heloman
Grafter

Re: Over-zealous censoring.

Thanks!
I thought of posting in the Community forum, but hadn't seen that thread so decided just to have a rant.
Smiley
chillypenguin
Grafter

Moderators Note.
Merged in today's topic about `Female dogs`.
chillypenguin
Grafter

I have removed `[Censored]` from the word censor, but should it be used inappropriately it will be reinstated.
OK, Just found out why `female dog` is in the swear filter, as there is extensive inappropriate usage in the archive forums.