cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Painful browsing the forum, like wading through treacle

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Painful browsing the forum, like wading through treacle

Ah, now that I don't know. But even then it doesn't really explain why some people get the delays and others don't because if the propriety stuff is flawed then whatever it is, is subtle, to say the least.

My reply to your edit @jab1:- That is what got me thinking about routing as each request can take a different route to the host so the whole thing appears random.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Lithium has responded to the thread advising that they haven't been alerted by any of their monitoring software and that 

they've looked at a browser tool:  which shows that the community page loads within 6 seconds

They've also asked

Are they all on Plusnet services when connecting to community? If so can the users replicate this from a device such as a mobile handset off the Plusnet network such as 3/4g? 

it seems to me like you guys can replicate it on other devices and via other netwroks but we'd appreciate clarity. Lithium are reading the thread so what you're saying is also shared with them.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 247

@JonoH - I would have thought my post #25 was fairly conclusive.Wink

John
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@jab1 wrote:

@Townman Good questions, but my specific problem is not the speed at which a page loads, but the length of time 'waiting for community. plus.net' is visible on my browser, which makes me wonder if the fault is at a lower level - once that notification disappears, pages load instantly. Also interesting to note that refreshing the forum home page after I have been away is almost instant, but loading individual boards or threads after that results in a wait of anything from 5-20 seconds.

It is the community.plus.net waiting time that does for me too, on Chrome. I only visit the forums on mu PN connection and on my laptop of pc, also running Chrome.

jab1
Legend

@Marksfish Thanks for that confirmation - it almost appears that the Lithium server 'forgets' you are connected and you have to wait for it to be found again, if that makes sense?Undecided

John
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Pretty awful this morning using my Android Tablet and Chrome via Plusnet network.

Connection repeatedly timed out when changing pages.  After timeout worked speedily for a while then - another timeout.  Rinse + Repeat!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

It's just not consistent for me.

One minute it is dreadfully slow, next minute it seems to be trying to catch up.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jab1
Legend

My experience, too, @Strat, but overall it is still painfully slow.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

It might be relevant / helpful if those reporting slow rendering could advise of which browser they use.

I have noticed that loading / rendering using MS Edge can be very painful and clunky.

Though Chrome is a bit quicker, you can still see the pain dry with messages reporting a wait for this service or that service and delays trying to establish a secure connection.

I also notice reference to liveperson server which is the chat service.  Just why is the forum trying to connect to chat?  Makes me wonder if unnecessary connections to the chat service contributes to making that service slow as well?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@Townman - See post #25 for fairly extensive resume.Smiley

I am finding the forum horrendously slow 99% of the time with just the 1-in-a-1,000 (or so it seems) acceptable response time. It is slowly getting worse.

John
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@Townman wrote:

you can still see the pain dry

Watching pain dry Huh

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

To add my 2p, things have been pretty bad for me of late too, across various connections/VPNs ☹️
Edit: forgot to add: using Chrome

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jab1
Legend

IF Lithium are reading this thread - have you identified any problem? The situation is getting extremely annoymg.

John
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Since my last post mentioning slow page loading on 8th January it's been OK every day (some operations lagging slightly but mostly quite acceptable.)

Win7 PC/Chrome.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

@JonoH

@JonoH wrote:

they've looked at a browser tool:  which shows that the community page loads within 6 seconds

Today the forum does appear to take approx. six seconds to load each page.

Is 6 seconds considered acceptable?

It seems like "browsing through treacle" to me Sad