cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notifications counter broken (has been for ages)

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Notifications counter broken (has been for ages)

screenshot_549

I rarely bother clearing my notifications however they've been stuck on 101 for many weeks - maybe even a month or two. It does go up when i get a new PM and then back down once read but when i get new thanks etc it doesn't go up at all.

Counting is pretty basic isn't it... Lithium don't seem up to it though! (Makes you wonder how they count all those notes plusnet handed over)

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
11 REPLIES 11
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: Notifications counter broken (has been for ages)

There might be a limit to the notification counter that is displayed. When you open the usermenu by clicking your username in the top right, what number is shown next to the link to the notification area? The counter in the usermenu (and the menu at the bottom of the page) is a custom component which would retreive the raw number directly from the database via the API. If the number is the same then there is a limitation on the notification count.

I will raise a support case but this is a bit of an edge case as most users would normally clear down their notifications when there are any to see.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I have raised a support ticket to Lithium to ask whats going on with the counter and if there is a limitation. I will let you know when I get more information.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

7up
Community Veteran

@jaread83 wrote:

When you open the usermenu by clicking your username in the top right, what number is shown next to the link to the notification area? 

I will raise a support case but this is a bit of an edge case as most users would normally clear down their notifications when there are any to see.

This is what i see in the user menu:

screenshot_552

In the support request did you also ask how they count their notes? Cheesy

As for clearing them i used to but gave up as they never stopped coming at me and i couldn't find a clear jumping_out_at_me way to turn them off.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

@7up wrote:

As for clearing them i used to but gave up as they never stopped coming at me and i couldn't find a clear jumping_out_at_me way to turn them off.

Have you tried setting the options on this page to 'Never' ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

7up
Community Veteran

Nope! lol.I shall give that a go.

Either way litium still need to know of this.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

At some point in the future I am going to make significant improvements to the homepage by including a latest notifications feed. It might be worth adding a 'clear notifications' button if this would be of use to some.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

@jaread83 wrote:
It might be worth adding a 'clear notifications' button if this would be of use to some.

Yes please @jaread83   To me Notifications are very helpful, but transient and with no (well not to me Wink) long term value.

I've no idea how many entries there are in my Notification area but it's probably a very large No. and just wasted storage space?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I have received word that this has been passed to a team of senior Lithium developers to see whats going on. Just keeping you in the loop. Will let you know when I get any updates on this.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I have had feedback from Lithium.

Confirmed now, there is a limit of the number of the notifications counter. This the reason why this user doesn't see the number going up.

I wasn't given a reason why but I assume it may have something to do with users who haven't returned in a while and the notification counter would keep racking up. So this isn't really an issue. If you don't want to clear your notifications that is up to you but it will stop at 100 and go no further.

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

@jaread83 wrote:

I wasn't given a reason why but I assume it may have something to do with users who haven't returned in a while and the notification counter would keep racking up. So this isn't really an issue. If you don't want to clear your notifications that is up to you but it will stop at 100 and go no further.

Puzzled (sorry). I just tried looking at 'my' notifications, and there were somewhere in the region of 180.

I assume notifications 'drop off the end' when they exceed whatever the parameters are - so I don't see the logic in having a different 'limit' for the notifications *counter*.   If that makes sense?

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
7up
Community Veteran

How can Penny get 180 but i can't get past 100?

Sounds more like a bug that Lithium don't want to admit to!