Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not showing as online

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Not showing as online

In the grand scheme of things, this comes way down the list, but I'd still like to know why.

I am permanently logged in, but since sometime yesterday afternoon, I do not appear in the list of online members. This happened a couple of days ago, too, but I magically reappeared a couple of hours later.

@jaread83 ?

Weird!! Just went back to look, and I'm here.Huh

John
18 REPLIES 18
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Not showing as online

Hi John,

I have seen peculiarities around who is on line as well. I suspect that it is more of "Who is on line AND active" where the determination of being inactive is several hours after the last activity ... without having logged out.

If your next action is to refresh / load the main forum page, at that point your new activity has not been noticed ... so you do not appear to be on line.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Thanks Kevin - I suspected it was something like that, but was just curious.Smiley

John
Mav
Fixes: 514

@Townman

I'm not convinced that is the case as I am sure I have been logged in and active but still not being shown occasionally.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Same here.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

"I suspect..." = guess work...

It could be something quite different.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

I'm moving further to the end of the list, even though I've been in and out of the forum since about 0630. Huh

John
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

I don't know how it orders the users to be honest, the component is calling an API that returns an object of the top 100 online users. How it determines the order is anyones guess. I have tried to get it to output in a specific order in the past but it doesn't accept the criteria in the query (tried ordering by rank or online time with no avail).

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jab1
Legend

@jaread83 - I'm now right at the end of 'list' even though I last posted about two minutes ago - go figure.Huh

John
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

This is something that has confounded me in the past too as there aren't any clear indications of what they are ordered by. I have just posted a question on the Lithium developers forum about it and if there are ways to change the order. I have a feeling that there isn't a way to do this without upgrading my API call to a different one (I am using V1 for its simplicity... they may suggest using V2 which is a mixture of a database select statement and it could break the component).

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I have received an answer from Lithium and I can order the results by last online. The only problem is the list contains anonymous users too so trying to find out how to filter those out (or not include them at all as it would return a large dataset).

jab1
Legend

@jaread83 If it causes problems, don't worry on my account - as I said in the OP, it isn't a major problem - although in my 'who's online', I'm now #76 - the last and when I started this morning I was 3 of 5.Smiley

John
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Well I think its a good idea to implement. It would encourage engagement here too so I have added this to my backlog so we can trial it. If it turns into a mess (such as the list constantly changing on account of users logged in time) then I will revert. I am willing to give it a go though.

Edit: I should mention that I have a definitive solution for the code now so this shouldn't be hard to implement.

jab1
Legend

OK Jack - you know the software better than me Wink, so I'll leave to you.

BTW - I'm not here, according to the list.

John
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I have sent an email to Lithium to ask how the 'last visit' and Online status works as apparently you are currently offline and your last visit was 7 hours ago... but that is clearly wrong.