Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New "unread" and jumping to nth post

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

New "unread" and jumping to nth post

Just opened a new (to me) topic, and it jumped to the 8th post rather than the 1st.

Is it because I always mark as read?

Never did this on the old forum (or any other forum that I use), and I always have used the mark all read.

4 REPLIES 4
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: New "unread" and jumping to nth post

If you are setting all posts in the community to be read and then someone replies to a thread you have already marked as read then the system will take you to that new unread post as it assumes you have read the replies before it. That is if you have the setting enabled to jump to the first unread post in a thread anyway.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

As I say I have this set in many other forums, including the old one here, this is the FIRST time it has happened on any forum, so not normal behaviour in my eyes.
Mark all read should not reset the last read only the visible threads.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I think there may be some confusion here between the action "Mark all posts read"  at board level and "Mark all posts in the Community read" available via the All unread Topics tab?   The latter acts as @jaread83 posts,  the former only marks all Topics that particular Board as read.

Having said that,  there are still inconsistencies in which post you go to.Crazy2  I've given up on reporting on that issue and just accept it as a very tiresome foible of this new board.

Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

I tend to be in the new topics view when I hit mark all read. I have done this for many years and this is the only forum that "misbehaves" in this way.
Normally if I open a previously UNREAD but marked as read topic then I will go to the FIRST post, not to a random post somewhere in the thread.
There needs to be a differential between actually having read a thread and only marking as read.