cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New forum - why can't I paste plain text into the "Rich Text" tab ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

New forum - why can't I paste plain text into the "Rich Text" tab ?

When composing a reply while in the "Rich Text" tab,  I am unable to paste plain ASCII text from a 'Notepad' type text editor.

Using the right-button on the mouse and using "Paste" does nothing.

Using the browser menu, [Edit][Paste] also does nothing.

It works as expected in the HTML tab,  I don't see why it shouldn't work in "Rich Text".

21 REPLIES 21
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: New forum - why can't I paste plain text into the "Rich Text" tab ?

No such problems here (Windows 10 + Google Chrome / Vivaldi / Edge / IE11 - just tested all 4 browsers), all paste fine using either right mouse menu or ctrl-v.

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hadn't tried <ctrl>v,  but that is the same, works in HTML but not in "Rich Text".

I'm getting well frustrated with these rubbish forum pages, I've had to close the browser TWICE in posting this reply.  Ticked_off

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

What platform/OS/browser are you on?  I'm afraid I've mostly only got Windows (all of those updated to 10) to test with - I can maybe have a look on one of my Raspberry Pis later.

[Edit - forgot I had a Pi at home running remote access, I can confirm able to paste normally on a Raspberry Pi 3 running Raspbian using Epiphany browser]

Just copied your 'Registered' date from here, pasting now...Registered: ‎11-08-2007

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

working fine for me in iOS and Win 7, using chrome. 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Dont tell me we got the double post BUG as well Roll_eyes

Dvorak ?  was it deliberate

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Hmm, one I got an error on so retyped it - you could tell give then extra word.

I'll remove one now..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@Anonymous wrote:

Hadn't tried <ctrl>v,  but that is the same, works in HTML but not in "Rich Text".

We saw this exact same issue during testing with MS Edge browsers (Win10) ... whilst most others were OK.

You seem to be experiencing a clutch of unique issues, can you please provide the details of your environment and browser as requested elsewhere.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

This is all to do with your cursor not having focus in the RT box at the time. You can paste once you have focus. And it is a known issue not fixed before going live. And it's not just MS Edge where the non-focus issue can appear from time to time.

Anotherone
Champion

I have just pasted the below in from a simple text file straight into the RT editor with no problem. FYI, It's some stuff I've already posted about a tip for quoting and is part of a longer set of tips on the same subject that I'm compiling. Here it is -

You can do all that fairly simply by having the whole post open in a separate tab (use the View discussion in a popup link just below the reply box) then copy and paste all the bits you want to quote into your reply box (it may not be whole of a post that you wish to quote).
Then add the 'somebody wrote:' bits in the relevant places. Add in your responses to each quote (or group of quotes) - then make sure the paragraph spacing is correct using the <return> key (note <shift><return> only gives a line break).

Once you've done that, highlight each individual "quote" with your cursor and press the Quote marks button in the toolbar, repeat that for each "quote" - job done - no need to go to HTML unless you mess up the quote tags.

Edit: Multi-quoting is an enhancement we could request for the future, but all the bugs currently present to do with quoting need to be fixed first. I'm also putting together some tips on "quoting" to include the sort of thing I've just mentioned above, which I'll post later.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Townman wrote:
can you please provide the details of your environment and browser as requested elsewhere.

No.

It is pointless providing details of my unique setup.

If I mention anything about my configuration, then I (repeat "I") WILL be told to do something differently.

My setup is complex and unique, it will not be possible to replicate it elsewhere, so again details are pointless.

My setup works perfectly on every other website that I use, it is only the new Plusnet website which has problems.

I appreciate you are trying to help, but so am I.

I am happy to provide browser logging info, firewall reports, visit different pages, etc.

I am NOT going to modify MY internet setup just because Plusnet are using some half-cocked forum.

As it is, I'm in the ideal position to report errors, which Plusnet can fix, and retested until correct.

Remember, that it was my firewall logs which highlighted the load-balancer problems on the old forum !

Anotherone
Champion

townman wrote:

...... can you please provide the details of your environment and browser as requested elsewhere.

It's a highly customised 'nix setup using Firefox browser and it's actually irrelevant to the bug as we know. It either the TinyMCE editor itself or the way it's being implemented by Lithium.

Anotherone
Champion

To be crystal clear about the "focus" problem, what I find as regards the ability to paste is the mouse cursor has to be "within" an area you have already typed something - that could be carriage returns or text or has to be at the position of the flashing cursor in the RT box.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This does appear to be a cursor focus related issue.

I am certain that the focus of the cursor is active in the Rich Text box, as I can type at it,

BUT as soon as I try and Paste anything, the cursor often ends up elsewhere, with no text appearing at either the original position, or in the new position.

Anotherone
Champion

That sounds about right, and if you get that issue on a mobile (small screen one - ie not a tablet) it's absolute hell!