Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New forum difficulties in subscribing to a topic

Anonymous
Not applicable

New forum difficulties in subscribing to a topic

If I try and follow a topic by selecting <Thread Options> <Subscribe>

• Sometimes it works !
  • Sometimes it tells me I don't have javascript enabled or installed.
  • Sometimes it will say javascript timed out.
  • Sometimes it says javascript was interrupted.

I'm using Firefox, and don't have javascript errors on any other website !

Was this new forum really tested by anyone before going live ?Ticked_off

7 REPLIES 7
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: New forum difficulties in subscribing to a topic

Please read https://community.plus.net/t5/Community-Site-Feedback/Priority-Forum-bugs-have-appeared/m-p/1324540#... and all the rest of the stuff prior, especially from me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had already read that topic and there was nothing related to what I posted above.

The real problem with this new forum is that it is currently impossible to tell what is a real bug or not, because it is one thing to report symptoms of something which apparently doesn't work,  but if the underlying Javascript is intermittent, and pages served to Firefox contain HUNDREDS of errors, then who can tell what is a real bug, or whether the browser is simply making a best of a bad job with the [-Censored-] it has been sent to deal with !.

Anotherone
Champion

My reply was very specific to your post. The Javascript issues you are seeing were not present at launch, and were not present during testing, although the clicking on the options drop-down menus causing the fly back to the top of the screen (also Javascript related IIRC) did crop up at one point in testing IIRC but was fixed.

I appreciated your ability to analyse these things in detail and the difficulty all the errors are giving, but can assure you that all of us involved in testing are as mystified with what's arisen as anyone else.

Anything you can spot that may given any clues as to the reasons for the Javascript issues, I know will be appreciated.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure what more I can do at the moment, as I'm waiting for Bob to reply to my PMs regarding the Firefox execution trace I sent him, that indicates that forum pages can contain over a hundred separate errors which Firefox doesn't know what to do with.  To try and debug Javascript while the underlying pages are so errored, would just be a waste of time.

Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate that finding the cause is going to be difficult, if the experts aren't having much luck, then it won't be any easier for us.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Authentication failed for the action you are trying to do. This failure could be due to your browser not supporting JavaScript, JavaScript not being enabled, or trying to use the action URL directly in the browser address bar instead of clicking the link on the page. 

WRONG !,  my JavaScript works perfectly well thank you !

Anotherone
Champion

So does mine, but I still get the same when the authentication error pops up.!

Suggested workarounds that sometimes work are Back page on the browser and try again or copy the url from the page you were on into a 2nd tab and try again.